Hour Six

5:18 am

I pull the car over at a small Pinterest looking diner. Zach and I get out and we both go to the bathrooms.

I close the stall door and sigh looking at myself in the mirror. I take off my hoodie and tie it around my waist revealing a black t-shirt and take my long brown hair down from the messy bun it was in. I run my fingers through it some and then I wash my hands and leave.

I walk over to the table Zach's sitting and and sit in the side across from him.

"So tell me more about you." Zach says as I sit.

"Why?" I ask.

"So that I can be more sure that I'm not headed towards my doom by accepting a ride from you." He says.

"Alright fine." I say. "Well I was found outside on the bank of Lake Superior when I was two. About a month after I was found I went into the foster care system, and I've really only had one family that actually cared about me. They helped me to graduate early because none of my classes were challenging. I graduated last year when I was fifteen but soon after that I was taken out of their care because my foster dad got laid off. He found another job but I had already been put in my current foster home." I tell him.

"Why exactly did you run away?" Zach asks me.

"Well my foster mom only cares about the monthly checks she gets from the government and my foster dad only cares about buying bottles of beer and vodka with them. And I'm basically their maid, I do everything around their house. And then theres their son. He's thirteen and he's always hitting on me and spying on me." I explain. "I tried to get emancipated three weeks ago but it was denied because I didn't have a steady job. I've been thinking of running away for a while but I never came up with a plan." I tell Zach. "But five days ago was the last straw when my foster dad broke a bottle over the back of my head when he ran out of booze. I wasn't seriously hurt, no stitches, no hospital visit, no concussion. I was lucky this time. So four days ago I made a plan and about five hours ago I left."

"So why California? Why not try to find your real family?" He asks.

"I don't know, I just feel drawn toward California. And my biological family abandoned me." I say.

"You don't know that." He responds.

"Hi I'm Janet I'll be your server." A woman who looks about thirty says coming up to our table. "What can I get you?"

Zach and I placed our orders and sat in silence until the food came. We ate and then the check came.

"You know, you two really are a cute couple." Janet tells us.

"Oh, we're actually-" I start.

"We're just friends." Zach finishes.

We finish paying and get back on the road.

Zach's POV

Thank god. I really had to pee. I wash my hands and find a table. Soon Alyssa comes out of the bathroom and sits across from me. This is the first time I've seen her in good lighting. Or any lighting. She's pretty, long brown hair and blue green eyes.

We talk for a little bit before we order our food. If Alyssa graduated at fifteen and that was last year that means she's the same age as me. I had no idea some foster homes could be so terrible. I've only known her a couple hours, but I know she deserves better.

AND THATS CHAPTER SIX

This one had Zach's POV

Let me know what you guys think

OK BYE