Chapter 1: In which she notices a change

I looked over at Eve as she giggled over at the new kid. I had finally discovered his name was Samuel, and no we still didn't talk. Eve did introduce us, but I guess I wasn't worth his time. Fine with me, one less person who I had to open up for, and less attention. Other girls were dying for his attention, but he only gave his attention to a handful of girls, Eve being one of them.

I put my head on the desk and yawned. Could this class get anymore boring? Just then the teacher stood up and started talking to get our attention. The only thing I could do was hope he wouldn't start blabbering about history. I mean it is Wednesday and he usually sat quite in the back while we stuffed our faces in the book and worked as a "team". Team meaning everyone copied, even quite kid started stealing my paper for the answers. I refused to look up as he cleared his throat for the thousandth time.

"Class in 2 weeks we're gonna move to the computer lab. While in there, we'll be working on solo projects that consist of researching a major event in society. I could be anything from the Great Depression to WWI. It could even be something that happened in one state, like a petition or a criminal case. Anything you want, but it must explain the situation and how it affected the people involved and how it may still effect us now. You can start planing now since it's the last 5 minutes. That's it." He said walking back to his chair across the class room. I opened my journal and wrote my event over the top of my page. Eve had other ideas though.

"Doesn't this suck Milly? What's the point in this? A lot of the events that happened back then do not effect us at all now." She said looking at me. I closed my journal and raised an eyebrow at her. I really do wonder about this girl some days. She got up to walk over to me, but Samuel pulled her back sitting her on his lap. She giggled and tried to pull away (obviously not hard enough cause she stayed seated in the same spot). I on the other hand kept thinking about the project and went back to brainstorming. I was super passionate about rock music, maybe I would do something on Elvis, or Hendricks. But I'm also super passionate when it comes to a good debate on something controversial. Hmm what to do, what to do? Before I could scribble anything else the bell rang. I threw my journal into my bag and walked out.

The next day went the same, but on Friday things took a slight change. My brother decided to drive me to school, he was a senior and since he would leave early anyway he decided why not. Only problem with him driving today is he woke up late, so I got to school 20 minutes into first period. As we hopped out the car we saw Samuel and his older brother (who's name turned out to be Jesse) walking toward us. I was surprised but ignored it deciding just to wait for my brother to walk with me since I didn't want to go in alone.

"Hey man." Samuel said doing a weird handshake with my brother,  Jesse doing the same. Unlike me, my brother was popular and didn't really care about school. He ditched most of the time with his friends and slept when he was in class. How he managed to get to senior year was beyond me. I knew he was smart, he was just too lazy to do the work most the time, it was a rare occasion if he wouldn't give teachers problems.I was about to decide to quite being a chicken and just go in alone when my brother looked over at me.

"This is my sister Milly. Mill, this is Samuel and Jesse, they live down the street from us."

"Yeah 3 houses down to be exact." Jesse said smiling in my direction. Hmm strange I didn't know that.

"Umm... that's cool.... I guess. It's nice to meet you two, but I have to go. If you leave, don't forget to get me." I said looking over at my brother before heading to the school doors feeling 3 pairs of eyes on me. My brother knew I hated the spot light which is probably the reason for that stupid introduction.

I ended up missing half of first period which resulted in lunch detention. Mrs. Knox said she'd fix my absent if I came, so going was a no brainer. I sigh and took my seat in second period thinking about what I'm going to do in lunch detention. I finished my math work, maybe I'll just start on my project for history, or finish my Japanese homework since I fell asleep early and didn't finish it. Too busy thinking I didn't realize the bell had rang and the whole class was seated waiting for the teacher. Instead of the teacher strolling in, there was a lady who walked in. She strolled over to the board and wrote her name along with our assignment.