Val released a soft breath. "I'm sorry," she said to no one in particular.

There was no response.

By some twist of faith, they had managed to catch the last fifteen minutes of the concert

By some twist of faith, they had managed to catch the last fifteen minutes of the concert. It wasn't much, but it wasn't a complete waste of money. They decided to go out by the lake to relax in the night air and let off some steam. The moon's silver reflection quivered on the black waters. A cold breeze greeted young lungs as the three girls walked over to a wooden bench. They sat together, Claire separating the other two as Naomi was mildly upset with Val. Naomi didn't know why, but almost everything Val said got on her nerves. And there was a distance from Val that wasn't there prior. She frowned. Val was keeping something from her. She felt Val pulling away, closing off her emotions.

Val leaned back against the chair, her hair pointing in every direction after the wind's abuse. Her eyes were eerie in the moonlight, a most unnatural gold. Her beige lips parted as she slowly exhaled, probably expecting to see it frost, but the night wasn't cold enough. Naomi crossed one leg over the other and tapped her heel against the pavement.

Claire broke the silence. "It's nice out."

Val said, "It's not terrible."

Naomi said, "It's alright."

Claire rubbed her temple. "Well, this is awkward.... Should we do something fun?"

Val raised a brow.

"I dare someone to jump into the water," Claire said. They both looked to Val who was the least well-dressed.

Val shook her head. "We don't know what's in there. Besides, it's always covered in algae. And dogs shit in there."

"Would you jump into a pool?" asked Claire.

"Would you pay me?"

Claire shrugged. "I've got twenty."

Naomi said, "I've also got twenty."

Val rubbed her hands together. Forty dollars could get her a decent meal at an expensive restaurant. "It looks like we have a deal, ladies," she said coolly.

Milton community centre was sandwiched between a small plaza and a cluster of family homes

Milton community centre was sandwiched between a small plaza and a cluster of family homes. The girls wound their way through the skate park in the dark. Naomi made easy work of it. She held onto the back of Val's shirt- Val seemed to know where every pipe and hole was. Claire was close behind. The pool lay behind a padlocked metal fence that reached their waists so it wouldn't pose much trouble. Val hopped over first and then helped the girls to the other side. A single streetlamp lit up the area, covering only the lower, shallow half. The deep end was shrouded in darkness, but they could still make out where the pool ended, and the cement began. They found an area that wasn't too bright or dark, in case there were cameras, there would be some difficulty to identify them in the poor lighting. Val took off her shirt, revealing a sculpted abdomen. She stripped down to her boxers and handed her clothes to Naomi.

She toed the water. "It's cold," she said, shivering at the thought of going in.

"You're already naked," Claire pointed out.

Val nodded and raised the price. "Thirty each."

The gamblers looked at the water and Val's shaking figure before agreeing to the raise. With the money in her favour, Val dived in, cutting through the frigid water and popping up at the other end. She swam back to where her friends were waiting and dragged her body out. She rubbed her arms, trying to regain her warmth. She blinked the water out of her eyes. Naomi helped her get dressed, though her clothes ended up clinging to her wet body. Her teeth chattered. The night was cool, caught between transitioning from summer to fall. Val hugged Naomi, sharing the water. "I hate you so much right now," Val muttered.

Naomi felt Val's cold body through her thin dress and her cheeks heated. She didn't push Val off though her heart raced. "You were the one that agreed to it." She reminded herself that she liked men and Val wasn't a man.

"That so?" Val asked and then said in a low voice, "I have half a mind to throw you both in."

Claire backed away. "Don't you dare. These clothes cost me good money, and this hair, hmph. Don't even joke about it."

Val slicked her hair back, every bit as handsome in the night as she was in day. Both Claire and Naomi were convinced that if Val were gay, she would have no trouble getting a girlfriend.

"Let's go grab some dinner," Val said, "On you two."

Naomi winced. Val could eat a lot when she wanted to. She wouldn't go easy on their pockets. She would buy the most expensive thing she could find. Naomi was torn, but the mood between them grew lighter as time passed. The jump in the pool had helped to ease the disharmony that made both uneasy. Naomi was grateful for the distraction, but she still wanted to know the source of unease. She hoped Val would tell her soon. When she felt the hug had transpired for too long, she pushed Val. "Let's get going, you pig. Get off me."

Val grinned, held Naomi tighter and whispered, "I'll be sure to eat whatever I desire."

Naomi's heartbeat sounded loud to her own ears. She whacked Val in the chest saying, "I said, 'get off me.' Are you gay or what?" It was loud and meant to hurt. Disgust was in her eyes and heavy on her tongue.

Claire gaped but stayed silent at the sudden eruption.

Val's face fell. "No. I was just messing around; don't get it twisted." She moved away from Naomi, her face blank of any emotion. She jumped over the fence. The only sign that Val was distressed was the way the fingers of her left hand curled into a tight fist, then unclenched after she landed and turned to help them. Naomi noticed the gesture; she knew all of the Val's tells, but pretended she didn't see it because the idea that Val might like her in that way terrified her. Naomi felt like she was standing at the end of white ledge, staring into a black abyss. She felt someone standing behind her, waiting for the right moment to shove her, and throw her into the unknown.

 She felt someone standing behind her, waiting for the right moment to shove her, and throw her into the unknown