Chapter Four - One Year Later

'Well that was tedious.'
'Wasn't it just.'
'I think 16 hours is the new record for "most hours spent looking for the source",' George said grumpily.
Lockwood chuckled, 'I can't wait to tell Kipps, he's had the record of 7 hours for months now.'
As George and Lockwood made their way into the kitchen, doing their best "disappointed Quill Kipps impressions", Lucy Carlyle went upstairs to go to bed; Lockwood and George could make jokes all they wanted, but they weren't the ones who had to try and crawl into one of the vents.
Pyjamas on, teeth brushed and in bed, Lucy thought about how much things had changed over the past year. Kipps had joined Lockwood and Co., Holly had been a great ally in many dangerous cases, and Lucy's feelings for Lockwood had grown. Although it was embarrassing to have a face the colour of a tomato whenever he was in the room, Lucy was sure that this was a good thing; she wouldn't have it any other way.
'What are you doing?'
Lucy looked over to where Lockwood was standing, 'What does it look like I'm doing?'
'It looks like you're in the wrong bed.'
Lucy's heart fluttered, 'This is my bed.'
Without missing a beat, he said, 'And you've been sleeping in my bed for nearly 6 months. I didn't hurt you when I tried to pull you out of the vent did I? Because George kept calling me weak and I thought if I pulled harder-'
'You didn't hurt me. I was just tired so I thought I'd sleep in my own bed whilst you and George have your midnight breakfast.'
Lockwood looked at her thoughtfully, then turned to walk out the room, 'Well can you be tired in my room please? I'll be up in 10 minutes, I promise. George and I just have to call Kipps.'
'Leave him be, it's too early in the morning for you two to be irritating him over the phone.'
'10 minutes, Carlyle.'
That was another thing that had changed over the past year. Lucy had grown used to sharing a bed with Lockwood. It just seemed natural after a couple of days, and they both slept much better.
Lucy smiled to herself as she slipped into Lockwoods bed. As promised, in precisely 10 minutes Lockwood was ready for bed and in bed with her. This was probably Lucy's favourite part about their routine; she could feel his warmth radiating off of him behind her as he gets into bed, and there is always that pause, that pause where everything is silent and both of them lay still. Then it is always broken by Lockwood as he pulls her close and wraps his arms around her. Still, neither of them say anything. Until tonight.
'Lockwood?'
She could feel his face move from where it was buried in her neck.
'Yeah?'
Lucy didn't know how to say it. She had been wanting to for so long.
'I think I'm in love with you.'
Silence. Lucy could hear her heart thumping as she waited for a reply. What if he rejected her? That would be very awkward considering she's in his bed and he is practically wrapped around her. What if-
'Hm. I think I'm in love with you too.'
Lucy could no longer hear her heart because it had stopped.
'What?'
'What?'
'You think you're in love with me?'
'Why else do you think I've been sleeping in the same bed with you for like the past year?'
Lucy hadn't thought about that. '..Because I make a good teddy bear?'
She could feel his breath on her neck as he laughed. It was wonderful.
'For someone so bright, you really are stupid.'
'How dare y-'
Lockwood snuggled his face back into her neck, 'Shhhh, sleep now.'
God, she loved him.