Chapter Twenty Two: Together

Start from the beginning

"Went for his brother." She answers still walking. I nod and keep watch for him. It's not till almost dark that he comes back. Merle isn't with him. I open the gate for him.

"Where is your brother?" I ask him.

"What do you care? You wished him dead and well....." He cuts off, it's then that I notice the dried tears on his face.

"Daryl....." I say putting my hand on his arm. He yanks away from me in anger.

"You got what you want. Leave me alone." He yells turning and walking from me. I run and grab his arm.

"I never wanted him dead," I say, turning him around. I look in his eyes as he tries to avoid mine. "I didn't like your brother that's true, but I never wanted him dead. I'm sorry for what happened. I really am." I tell him. He nods finally looking me in the eye. I frown at him. "Are you... Nevermind, stupid question."

"I'll be okay." He says. I nod and without thinking I hug him.

"I am sorry for your loss," I tell him, I feel him nod on my shoulder, he pulls away then, never really hugging me back. "Sorry, I forget you don't like to be touched."

"S'okay, I..." Daryl stutters. I tilt my head at him, he shakes his head like he can't make up his mind on what to say. Looking at me, he then kisses me. I freeze, and when I finally realize what's going on, he pulls away. I stare at him as he turns and walks away. I didn't know what to say or do so just silently follow him inside. That night I can't sleep, I can tell even Daryl can't. I lay watching him fidget. I sigh and get up, walking to him. I sit next to him and he looks at me. Without thinking I lay down next to him. He shifts to give me room on the mattress and pulls me into him. I lay there for a little bit, thinking he might soon push me away, but he never does. I turn to face him and he looks down at me, not saying a word, I move my hand to his cheek and lean up to him, lightly kissing him. Asking for permission. He doesn't kiss back right away, but when I'm about to pull away he deepens the kiss. We kiss for a while before I pull away needing to breathe. I lean my head on his chest panting. He pulls me closer and we fall asleep like that.

The next morning I wake up to movement beside me. I open my eyes and see Daryl sitting up packing the rest of his things. I hear footsteps coming upstairs behind me, and then Maggie's giggling. I close my eyes not wanting to deal with it at the moment.

"This looks oddly familiar." She states.

"Hmm." Is Daryl's reply. I hear movement beside me. Maggie then slightly shakes me.

"Esme, time to wake up." I grumble and stretch at that moment, rolling over to face her. I blink my eyes at her smirking face.

"What?" I ask. At that moment Rick comes upstairs and stops when he sees where I am. He raises his eyebrows at me.

"Umm.... Esme, I need you to check to make sure all the vehicles are in place." He tells me, but his eyes are asking a whole different question.

"Ok, will do, let me check my sugar levels, then I will, and to answer both of your unanswered questions, before we get bombarded by them, yes I slept here, no nothing happened, not much anyway." I say getting up and going to my cell. Maggie follows me, and leans against my cell door and staring at me, I can tell she wants more details.

"It's fine by me, just please try not to hurt her, and watch out for her." I hear Rick's voice. I look over at the two as Daryl nods to him. "Of course." I think I hear Daryl say. Rick turns to look at me at that moment and smiles at me. I tilt my head at him. Daryl then walks into my cell, I smile at him.

"What's your level?" He asks. I look down at the reader.

"90. A little low, but I'll grab something to eat." I answer and he nods.