Chapter 9

Chapter 9:

Somewhere in the Mediterranean
February 26th, ??:?? PM

This was the second time I'd stolen a boat since I'd left the US and I'd only been here two days. It I kept this up, I'd be deported before February even ended.

That would be a good thing to put on my resume.

I wanted to forget what had happened on the cruise ship, but I couldn't. One thing, above all, was nagging at me.

"What did Felix mean when he said, 'Since when do you care about women like that'?" Sebastien kept rowing. "Sebastien?" Nothing. "Sebastien what did he mean?"

Sebastien whipped around, "Can we not talk about this now?"

I set my paddle down. "We're not moving until you tell me."

Sebastien's eyes hardened. He grabbed my paddle and started rowing by himself.

I glared at the back of his head. God, he was infuriating.

So I did the only logical thing. I jumped out of the boat.

It took a while for Sebastien to notice. When he did, he set his paddles down and sighed. "Raegan, get the fuck out of the water."

"Not until you tell me what Felix meant when he said that!"

"Raegan, get out of the water, you can't swim!"

"Guess you're just going to have to tell me then!"

He shook his head. And then he laid down in the boat and closed his eyes.

What. The. Fuck?

Was he really just going to let me drown here?

Well there was still one thing I could do: I pretended to drown.

Looking back on it, I was quite dramatic. Gasping and flailing and choking: the whole package.

But it worked. Sebastien dived out of the boat and scooped me up.

"You're a piece of work you know." He said, shaking his head.

"Tell me."

"Raegan..." He looked so small in that moment; his bright blue eyes plagued with guilt.

So I let it go. He could tell me later.

"Row, row, row, your boat gently down the stream." I sang.

"Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily life is but a dream." Sebastien finished.

"You know that song?"

"Not all of us are uncultured." He said, laughing.

Well then.

Eventually, we pulled up to the shore. Everyone stared at us as we dragged that little wooden boat onto the sand.

Sebastien and I looked at each other and laughed.

I felt so close to him at that moment.

I was glad I'd only brought a backpack with me. When I packed, it was just the first thing I'd found, but I couldn't have imagined dragging one of those touristy suitcases with me everywhere. It would have sunk the boat.

"I'm starving. Can we eat?"

"Of course."

So we walked up the beach to this bar. We spent forever there: laughing and talking and watching the sunset.

What happened on the cruise boat was once again forgotten.

Then we walked hand in hand down the soft golden sand, the ocean lapping at our feet.

And when he kissed me, this time I didn't stop him. I was lost in him. His face, his chest, his hair: all of it absorbed me. His scent, like coffee and fresh rain, filled me.

"Raegan..." This time when he said my name he didn't seem small at all. His gruff voice whispered into my ear and it made me shiver. "How about we find ourselves one of those clubs?"

-----------------------------

What do you think Sebastien is hiding?

Do you still love him anyway?

Do you think Raegan should stay with him or get the hell out of there?

Once again, thanks for reading! Please like, comment and share!