Chapter Forty Three

Start from the beginning

"Jessie," I laughed. "I'm in geometry."

A look of worry and realization flashed through her icy blue eyes. "Oh," she said awkwardly. It almost seemed like she thought she had been caught with something, but I just didn't understamd why. "I knew that."

And without saying anything else, she turned back around and took off, speed walking in the direction that she had come from. She bumped into a few people, but she didn't even seem to notice. "Nice to see you again?" I called out to her, but she didn't look back. Soon she had disappeared into the mass of other students, and I sighed but kept walking.

I don't know why she's even talking to me at all. It seems like it's been forever since we've had an actual conversation...especially one that awkward and confusing. I don't know; she's always been kind of moody, I should still be used to it.

I turned back into the direction I was originally heading, and I scanned the area for Brooke or Luke. They're all I pretty much have left, but I'm trying to tell myself to get over than and move on. I saw Michael not too far away, 25 yards to left of me. He was facing the other way, and I was catching some sort of vibe that he knew where I was and didn't want to look at me or even face in my direction. I've always known that Michael is very stubborn and it's easy to tell when he hates a person...unfortunately, it's very clear to see he hates me.

Luckily, Luke had arrived while I was lost staring at my now ex-best friend, and I hurried over to the bench to sit down next to him. Luke was staring down at his hands, while his left foot tapped against the floor rather quickly. I know that's a pretty nervous habbit; I have the same thing sometimes. I was happy that he was here, since it felt like no one else really was right now. As I've said, I've only got about 4 people left...but one of them is about 73 years of age and the other lives across the world from me. That leaves just Brooke and Luke at this time.

"Hey." I said, slumping down next to him. Luke only shot his eyes in my direction for a seconds, before looking back down to the ground. He didn't say anything, he just replied with a hardly-noticable side smile. I scooted a few inches in the other direction; maybe I sat down too close to him or something. I stared at him and waited for him to say something, really anything...but he remained silent.

"Uh...good morning?" I tried another greeting.

"Morning." he mumbled. He looked extremely uncomfortable, and my heart began to pound. I slid away from him even more, fearful that I have done something.

"Are you alright?" I asked. My mind told me not to ask him anything since he may be angry with me, but I couldn't help it. Luke luckily sat back and rested his back against the bench, gazing out infront of us with his eyes barely able to stay open. I was getting more scared by the minute, since Luke is always in such a cheery mood.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Luke replied. He pryed his eyes away from whatever he was staring at, to meet my gaze with warmer expression on his face. "Um, sorry. I'm just a little tired."

"Why is that?" I asked, grateful that he wasn't mad at me. I don't even know why he would be, but I say that about a lot of people that hate me.

"I dunno." Luke shrugged. I could instantly tell he was bluffing, but I kept my mouth shut. I didn't want to take any chances of upsetting him.

Luke looked around again, and when he was staring into the direction of the back enterance, he stopped. His eyes ceased moving, and they almost seemed to turn to a firey ice while he glared outward. I did the same, searching for what caught his attention and changed his whole demeanor rather quickly. My heat sank to the sight of Brooke, hastily making her way onto campus. I was more than happy that she was here, but it was pretty disheartening to see that she was the one Luke was staring at.