Chapter Twenty One

I walked up to the enterance of Palo Verde on Friday morning, groaning to myself that there was still a whole 6 or 7 more hours until the weekend. But, in the end I didn't have that much to complain about, since I can tell tonight will be all worth the agonizing waiting. Thinking back to Monday, Leila had told me that one of her rich friends was having a party and that they're always really fun at this person's house. Leila said that she doesn't go to this school, so I don't know her. I guess that's not weird, right? I dont think it matters who's there and who's not, as long as everyone is having a good ass time. I decided to tag along, because why not? Last Friday with all of them was a great time, so why not expand the horizons a little bit?

The only thing that made me uneasy about going was, of course, Ashton. Since Monday night he's been back to his orginal self..which is good, except I don't know what it really takes to make him sad and quiet again. I have been meaning to ask him if there was anything he wanted to talk about, but I also didn't want to seem clingy or anything. After a lot of thought, I figured out what that look that Michael had in his eyes the whole week last week whenever he looked at me was. He looked a little sad and a little lonely, and as I step back and think about the fact that I have spent so much time with his best friend, maybe Michael felt a little left out. Which isn't bad, and I understand. So with all that in mind, I decided to not so much worry about Ashton, but just enjoy his company.

As I walked alone towards Ashton and Calum who were sitting at the usual spot, I heard Leila's voice behind me. "Yoohoo!" she chirped. I turned around to face her, and we both smiled big smiles at each other.

"Hey," I greeted.

"I have a very, very important question for you," she winked back. "Are you coming tonight?"

"Yeah," I nodded, causing her face to light up. "How could I miss it?"

"Ah sweet!" she groaned excitedly. "This is going to be...well wait," Her tone had shifted to something more quieter and serious in almost an instant. I looked at her and tilted my head to the side, confused.

"What's up?" I asked.

"Is Ashton coming?" She asked. My heart skipped a beat. "Because I'm not saying he can't, I was just wondering."

"Really?" I asked. I would have assumed Leila would have said a great big 'fuck no' if I had even mentioned bringing Ashton.

"You should bring him along!" she said. "It doesn't really matter to me, since the place is huge. But that's only if you want, whatever is better for you."

I nodded at her understanding, and I thought about it. Would Ashton even want to go? As I think about it, it's been a really long time since Ashton and I have done anything...well..fun, together. And of course I think staying on the couch and eating cup noodles and cuddling with him is fun...but I just miss all the exciting things we used to do. I was so amazed at how much fun those things were, whether it was watching him be a skilled shop-lifter stealing a bottle of Grey Goose from a shitty liquor store, or bareling down the golf courses that Nick's dad owns late in the night. It's been a while since any of that, and if I really think about it I can't even remember the last time Ashton really went out.

Maybe that's just what he needs, I thought suddenly to myself. That makes a lot of sence, actually. Maybe he just needs to have a little fun for the first time in a while, and maybe he can feel better. I'm not saying that his weird attitude has lasted this enitre week, but he should come with me. It would be fun; I miss partying with Ashton.

"I will definitely talk to him about it," I said. Leila smiled and nodded.

"Sweet!" she said. "Well if he doesn't end up going, just hit me up and I'll be your ride. I think Ashton knows where this place is, considering we went over there a lot back in the day."