The Families

"That girl, oh my god!" Cried one of the classmates, as Anurag took his seat. "I've never seen such a beauty, Anu!" Shivam draped a hand around Anurag's shoulder, acting dramatically. "Hmm, and that is why all of you were troubling her so much?" He rolled his eyes. Evan can clearly see that Anurag was still unhappy with the scene a while ago.
"That was out of love, yaar! You know, she's just the same batch as us, in law faculty. Joined for her last semester here! And and you know.. she belongs to the Rathore Royal Family!!" Shivam was least bothered about what Anurag said. Instead, he was giving out details of the girl. "Prerna Sharma, is her name!" The last sentence made Anurag's heart skip a beat. He doesn't know why.

The rest of the morning Anurag didnt get to see Prerna. But the whole guy gang kept on talking about her. Anurag had classes back to back, not giving him a single chance to drop in for a snack either. As the last class came to an end, He hurried to go home, realizing that his mother will be seeing is way.

"Nivedita! Ask the chef to prepare the table this instant. My Anu will be here any minute now!" Mohini Basu instructed her daughter, while she waited at the entrance of the hallway.
Her daughter however, rolled her eyes to her mother. "Anu, Anu, Anu! Nothing comes to her mind all day long!" She whispered to her husband, half lying on the couch, next to her. With a bowl of popcorn, his eyes glued on to the television. Nivedita grabbed the bowl and smacked on his arm, cuz she did not receive any response. "Oye! Baby..!" He cried in complaints but she was fast enough, and disappeared to the kitchen.

"Ah, finally! You are here!" Mohini grinned wide, as Anurag came to enter. "Hi Mom!" He gave a warm smile and half hugged his mother. "How was your day? I hope you had a good time?" Mohini asked as they walked in together. She took the bag from Anurag and handed over to the butler, although Anurag tried to protest.
"I have made your favorite Korean curry today! Come, come!" Mohini dragged her son to the dinning.

Moloy Basu also walked into the dinning at then. "Hi Dad!" Anurag greeted politely. "Oh, hullo! Come come. Lets have dinner.." Moloy gestured to the seat next to him, and Anurag sat down.
"By the way.. still no luck with a girl?.." he secretly whispered to Anurag, who made a face in return. This is the usual question from his father, almost everyday. "Dad—." "What dad? Arrey its the best days of your life! Why are you spending it so dully? Tsk, get some girls, go to some clubbing, and enjoy.. you know!"
"Moloy!" The excitement of Moly this time didnt help him from being heard by Mohini. "Stop feeding my boy, okay? He's just a student yet—." "What student? Were you not a student when you passed me notes, down those desks, and then we'll end up having secret meetings on rooftops?" Moloy responded. Anurag covered his face in embarrassment. "Talking to you is useless!" Mohini was so frustrated! She left the topic and started to serve Anurag. Moloy let out a hearty laugh.

"Oh by the way! My NY City friends are back in town! Remember the Rajkot family?" Moloy said in excitement. "You have been talking about this family, ever since we got married! But I've never met them." Mohini eyed him, her eyes showed zero interest. Anurag however was somewhat curious! As if his sixth sense gave him a warning.

"Arrey! This time I'll definitely meet them to you! They are here in Kolkata!" Mohini's mind then shifted into the talk. "And I have invited them for dinner tomorrow!" Moloy clapped his hands together.
"W-what? Tomorrow? Moloy, how can we make all the preparations in—." "Relax! I have assigned everything to a catering group. You dont have to do anything! Just adorn yourself and be ready to be introduced." Moloy stopped Mohini from complaining. Anurag's phone rang just then, and he had to excuse himself.
"The Sharma's. Royals of Rajkot!" Moloy smiled, reminiscing his friendship with the heir of Rajkot's, Rajesh Sharma.
"They must be really wealthy. And so would be Veena Sharma.." Mohini let out unintentionally. "So are they. Veena is one of the most beautiful women, inside out." Moloy replied, as he left the room after finishing his food.
A wave of jealousy stroke at the heart of Mohini, towards a woman and a family that she havent even met. Even the Basu's are rich. And she, for all this time thought, there can never be anyone who can come to them, whose more richer than them. Wealth is everything for her.

At the grand mansion of Rajkot heirs, located in Kolkata, a group of servants are seen to enjoy a house party in their kitchen. They were celebrating one of their birthdays.
Veena Sharma saw the scene as she passed through the corridor. She peeked in to see what was going on. A wide smile spread on her lips.

"Arrey, Komal. I didnt even know it was your birthday!" She walked in, grinning wide.
"Your Highness!" Everyone gasped and got out of their seats, bowed down to their master.
"Oh no no! No bowing. No bowing, please. Its celebration time! Let's cut the cake!" Veena clapped her hands together, excited so much.
The happiness and contentment on the servants face evidenced how satisfied with the job they were. And all these caring and affection from their master is not new to them, but that is how Veena Sharma is! Down to earth, a heart filled with humbleness and gentleness.

"Cake cutting?! Whose birthday is it?!" Barged in Prerna, who overheard the conversation from the Servant's kitchen as she was in search of her mother.
"Haha! Komal's. Come, join us!" Veena and the others brought her in, and together they celebrated the birthday of Prerna's maid, who was a few years older than her.

A knock on the bedroom door made Prerna to look at the entrance. "Oh, Mama. Please, come in!" She showed way to Veena, and escorted her to the couches in the room.

"I just came to check on you. How was your first day?" Veena asked, taking a seat. Prerna sat next to her, and rested her head on her mother's lap. Veena caressed on her hair, with so much love and affection.

"First day was.." Prerna's sentence cut in the middle, as the thought of the guy hit her mind. Unintentionally his features sank into her heart. The tall and fair figure, the equal muscular body. How humble and gentle he was to help her..

"Dear? Did you hear me?" Veena's question broke Prerna's trance. "Oh, y-yeah. It went all well. My colleagues and the lecturers were very friendly. Final Exams will start in a month." Prerna straightened herself and explained quickly.

Rajesh Sharma entered just then, with his son Shekr and his wife Suman.
"Papa.." Prerna got onto her feet and quickly greeted her father.  Rajesh grinned wide and caressed on his daughter's cheek.
"Everything went well?" He inquired about Prerna's day. She nodded her head in response.
"But please, let the guards stay out of college? I'll call them, if anything." Prerna requested.
"But what if something happens to you?!" Shekar was the first one to voice his concern. But Rajesh held a hand to stop him.
"I believe you'll make good bunch of friends who can be around you and protect you. So that is fine. I'll instruct the securities." Rajesh gave a smile. "Oh and by the way, my friend has invited us for dinner tomorrow night. I mentioned about my Kolkata friend, right Veena?" Rajesh said.
"Oh, of course. The Basus.." she responded.
"Yeah them. Please be ready by 7 p.m. everyone? We all should go together." With that, they passed the night greetings to each other and dismissed to their rooms.

Prerna however, sat on the bed, thinking about the guy all over again. It was weird that just a glimpse of someone is thumping her heart. She draped the comforter over her head, trying to shake of the thoughts.

The lamp of Anurag's study table was on, though the bulb of his mind was off. He overheard Nivedita mentioning about the Sharma's being the Rajkot family. Ever since his mind has been occupied with Prerna's thoughts. Yes, he, the man who doesnt believe in love and lust, is demented by a girl.
"No, this isnt anything like that. I'm just curious cuz she is new to college. And because the guys harassed her today. Yes... no other reasons.." Anurag convinced himself and got into bed, so that he could shut the thoughts off.