VI. Young Miss Brierley

Start from the beginning

⠀⠀⠀⠀"Oh, Flo," Kaitlyn said suddenly, interrupting the other girl's speech. "Don't turn around so quickly, but Greengrass is almost here with the others. He's looking right at you."

⠀⠀⠀⠀Florence did not turn around, just as her friend had instructed, and instead pretended she had said nothing at all and continued their conversation.

⠀⠀⠀⠀Whom Kaitlyn had referred to as 'Greengrass' was actually Wilfred Greengrass: a boy in seventh year who sometimes merged his friends with the sixth year Slytherins. It appeared that whenever he was around, he would make an effort to speak with Florence Brierley, and it appeared that he seemed to quite enjoy her company. Luckily for her, she returned such feelings. And oh, Kaitlyn encouraged it.

⠀⠀⠀⠀"Florence," he said as he neared her, and she turned.

⠀⠀⠀⠀She could not contain her smile from him. "Hi, Fred."

⠀⠀⠀⠀Fred.

⠀⠀⠀⠀He'd let her call him that, but not a soul else. Sometimes he called her Flo, but that was less special because most of her friends did too. The fact he was calling by her first name as opposed to her surname was personal enough, really. Most students called each other by their last names if they were important.

⠀⠀⠀⠀Florence waved Kaitlyn off very subtly, and her friend simply smiled and did so quite happily. Greengrass' friends had gone off to join the rest of the group anyway, of whom Kaitlyn was now making her way over to as well, leaving Florence alone with him to the side.

⠀⠀⠀⠀As it would later become known, Greengrass had spoken to his father about what was to happen to him and what was expected of him post-graduation, and certain conclusions had been drawn. Unfortunately, such conclusions included the likes of Florence Brierley, but without so much as a thought to ask her what she thought on the topic. Her father had been asked though. Close enough, she supposed.

⠀⠀⠀⠀"I'm to work in the Ministry with my uncle," Greengrass said when she'd asked him what undoubtedly impressive career he was supposed to pursue. "He's the Head of the Department of International Magical Cooperation there, so I'll be a position below him until I'm promoted. But I've been told there's opportunities for me to work alongside the Magical Congress of the USA as well, which sounds interesting."

⠀⠀⠀⠀Florence had to admit she was intrigued by this news. It did sound good, and perhaps she'd be permitted to travel with him to the States every now and then. Her own parents certainly never achieved that, and neither had any of her siblings. She would be deemed the most successful of the family.

⠀⠀⠀⠀Though she had to remind herself that whilst this man was out living some sort of dream, she would be stuck at home in their - undoubtedly obnoxiously large - manor with their staff, and at some point their children. All of a sudden it was so much less interesting to her.

⠀⠀⠀⠀"You..." he paused, as though thinking how to word his next sentence carefully. "You are OK with all of this, aren't you, Flo?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀She nodded immediately. Perhaps too quickly.

⠀⠀⠀⠀What else was she to say? She had a strong friendship with this boy, which was certainly more than some married couples could declare, and he was set to have one of the most impressive jobs out of all of the upcoming graduates of the year. He was nice to her, and her parents liked him, and he would do her family's name a world of good. How could she possibly turn around and say no to him? To all of them?

⠀⠀⠀⠀"Fred, of course I am," she said happily. "I really cannot wait until you graduate and make a start to all of this for us. Then when I do the following year, you'll already have made a name for yourself at the Ministry and we'll have a great foundation to absolutely everything."