IV. What It's Like to Like Girls

chapter four, what it's like to like girls

🌷

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀THE RESTLESS NIGHTS NEVER DID CEASE.

⠀⠀⠀⠀Magdalena had been told several times over by her parents that she would soon grow out of nightmares — that they were just for children — but there she was at fifteen, still undergoing the fear they brought nightly with no visible end. She simply had to hope that by the time she returned home for Christmas in a few months' time that they had disappeared, or were at least infrequent or minor enough to be concealed. She'd rather not deal with her family's reactions to her concurrent nightmares, as to put it lightly, they wouldn't be as supportive as her friends had been.

⠀⠀⠀⠀Thankfully for her, daytime events kept her mind off of Dementors. With exams approaching in the spring, Magdalena had little time to allow her mind to drift whilst she was in classes or studying, which meant that Dementors quietly remained at the back of her head until nightfall.

⠀⠀⠀⠀None of her classes had direct links to Dementors or the World Cup, and since that initial Defence Against the Dark Arts class, all of the lesson focuses had strayed from Patronuses — so even in that class she was safe from reminders.

⠀⠀⠀⠀And now, Magdalena sat at her desk in Transfiguration happily beside Molly Prewett, with the pair of them desperately trying to master the Vanishing Charm. Their professor for this subject, Professor McGonagall, had described the charm as being exceptionally challenging, and as one of the most difficult requirements of the O.W.L. exam. There were diagrams up on the walls, drawn and annotated on the blackboard at the front, and the professor was continuously answering questions and offering advice and feedback to the students. Despite her lack of success, Magdalena felt good about herself whilst in this class — as though she would be supported and aided through it regardless.

⠀⠀⠀⠀"Has Val been better since that argument she had with Joanne and Eloise?" Molly asked from beside her, careful not to be too obvious about their conversation so that McGonagall wouldn't tell them off. "I doubt they'll ever be the friendliest with each other. I do wish they'd stop arguing so much though, especially in the middle of the dormitory."