V. The Owlery

chapter five, the owlery

🌷

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀THE FOLLOWING WEEK, MAGDALENA RECEIVED A note requesting she go to see the new Defence professor to speak with her. Or rather, for the professor to speak to her. She had no clue what the one-sided conversation would be about, seeing as nothing had come up in lessons that she'd considered worthy of a discussion, but nonetheless, she accepted the note and went to see the woman that Wednesday morning.

⠀⠀⠀⠀Opting out of taking Muggle Studies for her O.W.L.s wasn't exactly her own decision, it was more for the sake of not being disowned at fifteen years old, but it seemingly paid off well in terms of timing. Whilst the others in her dorm had all gotten themselves ready and left for their morning class, Magdalena had been left to sleep in a little longer. This was quite refreshing to do, but it also meant that she wouldn't have to face Val until later in the day, who was still somehow bitter about the whole 'kitchen talk' and Slytherin party ordeal.

⠀⠀⠀⠀ Yes, she was now speaking to her properly, but there was just something slightly off that made Magdalena uncertain, and sometimes it was nice to avoid such interactions altogether.

⠀⠀⠀⠀So, a short while after the others had left for their lesson, Magdalena found the courage to get herself up and ready to have this meeting with her professor. She apparently had the entire morning free of lessons for herself, the one time she did all week, yet she was spending it speaking to Magdalena.

⠀⠀⠀⠀Magdalena, of all people?

⠀⠀⠀⠀She meant, really?

⠀⠀⠀⠀"Ah, Magdalena, so good to see you, honey," Braithmore smiled at her as she walked into her office, following from a short knock on the door and politely waiting outside. She flicked her wand at one of the chairs at the side of the room. It shuffled over to stand across from her. "How are you? Here, come and take a seat."

⠀⠀⠀⠀So, she did just that. Braithmore moved the papers that she had out on her desk to the side, before turning around to look at Magdalena. She smiled again, warmly. There was something so loving about the woman that put her at so much ease. She was kind, and nothing but it. It was rare for Magdalena to find such comfort in people — the closest she could think of was McGonagall, but even she could be scary at times.