VI. Young Miss Brierley

chapter six, young miss brierley( contains verbal domestic abuse  )

( contains verbal domestic abuse )

🌷

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀MAGDALENA'S MOTHER, FLORENCE, WAS A CRUEL, cold-hearted witch, according to the girl herself. Though not quite so awful when on her own as when compared to in the company of her father, she still could not deny the harshness of the woman's tone and behaviour, especially towards her. Others would agree, had they witnessed Magdalena in her mother's company, but none of her friends had ever met her, and of course, any pureblood children shared parents of similar types and wouldn't raise a brow.

⠀⠀⠀⠀But Florence Parkinson, this cruelly painted mother with her strict, immoral method of raising her children, had not always been such an awful soul. She was parenting the way she knew how; the way her husband believed. And unfortunate as it was, she was merely, and innocently, repeating a cycle.

⠀⠀⠀⠀Before marriage, she had been young Miss Brierley. The third child of five, the second daughter, born January nineteen-twenty-six. Different customs were in place, and she had grown up far wealthier and more traditionally than she'd chosen to raise her own children. Florence had been a girl of class, of courtship and of the male economy.

⠀⠀⠀⠀A very idyllic daughter for such a very high society family.

⠀⠀⠀⠀And come sixth year at school, this perfection seemed to really come into play, what with the development of her relationship with her best friend, and the agreement between her father and his.

⠀⠀⠀⠀She'd been seated in the courtyard with her best friend, Kaitlyn Flint-Noble, as well a few others from their little self-defined elite Slytherin entourage, simply talking about the most pointless things. She and Kaitlyn had not always been friends, but rather academic rivals that could not see one another beyond being competition. Eventually, with both of them being descendants of the Sacred Twenty-Eight, they'd been forced to socialise with one another at a Christmas ball, and decided that actually, they rather liked one another after all. And two years on, they appeared to have never been anything less than best friends.