ten.

"JINGLE BELLS, GRANDPA SMELLS, SABRINA KEEPS SNOGGING MALFOY!"

AS OCTOBER TURNED to November, and as everyone moved on from Sirius Black's great entrance, and escape, to the castle, the fact that Madeleine Malfoy would not be returning home for Christmas left a deep hole in her heart. Sure, she would be spending Christmas with Sabrina, Remus and Celeste in their home, but it wouldn't be the same. She knew it wouldn't.

Christmas at Malfoy Manor had been a grand, wonderful experience as a whole. They would get the biggest and grandest of trees, and Maddie and Draco would decorate it with their mother. Their father would sit back and watch, only letting a smile grace his lips when they had their backs turned toward him. But that was three years ago, before she got sorted into Gryffindor.

Then, she was no longer Madeleine to everyone, or Lynnie to her mother, she transitioned into who everyone knew as Maddie. She was the second girl in the Lupin home, the shared eldest girl for the Weasleys. Nevertheless, despite all of this, she really was still a Malfoy at heart. She still followed some aspects of what she had been taught since she could speak and walk, but she had learned that their love toward her was literally conditional under the terms that she followed what it is to be a pureblood. Sometimes, there would be a voice in the back of her head telling her to sit straight, to not start eating until everyone was at the table and ready to eat. She hated it, but she did it nonetheless.

Sat at the Lupin table on Christmas eve, by herself, waiting for the rest of the family, she followed what she had been taught, and let a tear roll down her cheek. She genuinely did not mind being with the Lupin's on Christmas, she had always wished to find out what the household was like at Christmas time, and she was so thankful. But, there was still an ache within her that she could not get rid of.

As the vibrations of feet walking on the hardwood floor got heavier, Maddie wiped the tear from her cheek and tucked her platinum hair behind her ears. She gazed up at Sabrina who was seemingly recovering from a laughing fit, her cheeks were red and her eyes glistened with tears from her laughter. Simply seeing Sabrina so happy, made Maddie laugh as the girl slid into the seat opposite her. "Mum, I'm starving!"

Just as Sabrina started moaning about how hungry she was, Remus and Celeste brought their food in, sitting at their respective ends of the table. Maddie had been living with them for almost six months, and sometimes days can go by without her thinking about Narcissa and Lucius. Though she thought about her brother every day, she hadn't spoken to him for two weeks. She thinks he's coming to terms with the fact that she's a blood traitor, ouch.

In the last month or so before leaving Hogwarts for the holidays, they only spoke about once a week. They started to get busy with work and essays, and she knew that Draco had a continuous stream of letters coming in from their parents, so she kept to herself.