Chapter 1 - The Four Kingdoms

The early morning breeze rippled the King's red velvet cape draped over his white silk shirt and red soft wool trousers as he looked down from the balcony of his bedroom, bejeweled fingers tapping on the granite balustrade. His graying hair was slightly ruffled by the wind, away from his otherwise ruggedly handsome face. The snow had almost melted and spring was about to arrive, with the air bringing in a slight chill which didn't seem to bother him. In all his forty-some years of age, he had become one of the most beloved and magnanimous monarchs.

His Royal Majesty, King Dong Wei Yong's gaze was fixed on the bustling city by the Winzhu River just outside of the Chazhu Castle towering above it. Chazhu was the center of trade and the most civilized, highly developed city among all of Rìchū and the neighboring kingdoms. It was also where the largest market could be found with dozens of shops offering various wares or services, and large inns dotted the cobbled twisting roads that led to the North Bridge and further out to the largest port along the vast and deep Misty River. Kingdoms up north and even as far as lands from the western and southern realms all docked their ships at said Northern Port to trade and re-stock their supplies for their return journey.

It was all thanks to Rìchū's silver mines, the largest in the world, that trade was excellent. Rìchū was one of the wealthiest among the four largest neighboring kingdoms, second only to Kaelaran. It's people seemed happy and content and are fiercely loyal to the Crown. All these made the King proud and it usually brought him some peace of mind, however he was getting desperate and he needed help.

"Your Majesty, what shall we do about the southern border outpost which was attacked by the Chāzi?" asked the King's most trusted advisor and cousin, Lord Wong Lei whose eyebrows were constantly knotted. He hovered impatiently behind the King, waiting for a response.

King Wei Yong balled his fist and jabbed at the granite with apparent irritation. No matter how wealthy his kingdom was, if it were repeatedly attacked this way, his army suffered and re-fitting new soldiers cost a great deal of coin. He cannot afford to lose more soldiers, nor conscript half of the population of his realm. Not after that encounter at the southern borders the previous year that took months to resolve where he had lost almost a thousand of his best warriors. For now, it was a tense truce between Rìchū and Chāzi which also cost him a large chest of silver coins. But it appeared that Rìchū's neighbor was trying to break the truce. He must find a way to strengthen his army and possibly an alliance with one of the kingdoms nearby. During the annual Spring Banquet where all the Royal Families and Nobility gathered to solidify or create new ties, some monarchs had hinted at marrying their children to Prince Sicheng but he did not take them seriously. Perhaps it was about time he took his future plans into consideration.

"Lei, what can you say about an alliance through marriage? Do you think it will help us resolve this problem?"

"I believe so, Sire. Marriage between two kingdoms will definitely solidify an alliance. I... uh... heard whispers that King Yukiko of Tsuyoi's eldest daughter the Crown Princess Nozomi, wanted to marry soon. An alliance with a kingdom with a substantially strong army would greatly benefit us and may very well fortify our borders' security."

"That's true."

"I also heard His Majesty King Hyojin's younger brother, His Grace the Duke of Sarang, has a son of marriageable age."

The King whipped his head up to look at his chief advisor with a frown. "Son?"

Lord Lei cleared his throat and had the decency to feel uncomfortable under the King's gaze. "Well, Your Majesty, it is common practice that the third child of a monarch may be married to the same sex mainly for political reasons. So long as they are of high rank and of noble blood. Such has been customary for the past generations in the northern kingdoms. As you very well know, Sire, Her Royal Majesty hails from the north and understands this custom well. It has been a known fact that they have concubines of their own during such marriage and even allowed their offspring to carry the titles. There are certain rules, however. Why...one of the court Ladies told me...how one Duke had two concubines and the three of..."