TWO

"Okay everyone. Party's over. Thank you for coming and you can see yourselves out" Emilia said. People shuffled out, murmuring to one another about what had just happened. Despite everything, this was not how she wanted Zander to meet his father. Already he was scared of Max and that wasn't her goal. Her husband could hate her all she liked but she wanted him to have a good relationship with his son. Zander was a sensitive child and she'd taught him it was bad to mistreat women. Seeing his father mishandling his mother wasn't a great example.

After the backyard had cleared, she looked from one person to the next. Darren had changed a bit. When she'd left, he was still the kid even though he was older than Gwen but the suit he wore alone, spoke volumes of how different he was today. Lisandra and Gwen were glaring at her with hateful faces. Once upon a time, she had cared what they thought of her. Right that second, she didn't give a flying Fuck. And Max looked to still be in shock. His eyes were glued to Zander who kept hiding his face behind her hip. The fact that he was scared of his father bothered her but she couldn't deal with that right then. Later she would talk with her son and try to salvage Max's image. "Right then family where to begin." she said smiling. "Did you miss me?"

"How could we not?" that came from Darren who stepped forward and hugged her.

"Oh Darren, you're still sweet as always"

"Yes. But I'm also mad that you left. Where have you been? I looked everywhere for you Em. Where did you go?"

"It doesn't matter. What matters is that I'm here now and I'll be staying for good"

"After you've settled down we'll talk." he said then grabbed a waiter passing by with glasses "Can you call Mel for me?" he asked just as the housekeeper appeared wheeling someone forward.

Emilia stared at Mrs Carter not knowing how to feel. That woman had made her life a living hell and almost cost the life of her son just because she didn't approve of Max marrying her. All the things she'd done came rushing back and Emilia couldn't stop herself from saying "My, my Mrs Carter. How the mighty have fallen, wouldn't you agree?" the woman looked at her. There was a second when she didn't recognize who Emilia was but when she did, there was shock plastered all over her face. That same shock rose to another level when she saw Zander. As if still protecting her child from her, Emilia pushed him behind her. "I would say it's nice to see you again but I would be lying"

"Why you....." Max started but Darren held him back again.

"Easy bro. Your son is watching"

"I hate you" he snarled lowly so that only she could hear him.

Shrugging it off Emilia smiled at him "How you feel towards me doesn't matter my dear husband. Truly"

"Why are you really here? What do you want?" Gwen asked, finally finding her voice.

"I'm back. This is my house too Gwen. In fact since it belongs to my husband, I own half of it"

"Nothing here belongs to you, you bitch"

"Lisa I will urge you to refrain from cursing in front of my son or I will be forced to wash your mouth out. Am I clear? And yes, all of you seem to forget that when Max and I got married we were so in love that I never signed a prenuptial agreement."

"I always knew you were after his money" Lisandra took that opportunity to start with her accusations "Didn't I tell you just what kind of a woman she was Max? I kept saying she was a gold digger but none of you would listen to me. Look at her now, coming back here dressed like a...."

"You finish that sentence and I'll show you exactly what I am Lisa. Go ahead, say another word in front of my son" Emilia told her. Frankly she was getting tired of that woman's mouth. She wondered if anyone would care if she stuck a dirty sock in it. Lisandra shut up, but glared at her just like what Max was doing. Surprisingly, Mrs Carter hadn't said a word. She kept staring at Zander who wouldn't let her leg go.