Balance (Part two)

Start from the beginning

"Mr. Stark! You should see my room! Uncle Thanos included everything I could ever dream off! It's so big, but not too big, and it has all this cool stiff and-" Pete is interrupted by Horns.

"Spider, what are you talking to them?" She asks.

"This is Mr. Stark, he helped me with my suit, that's what I fought Uncle Thanos in! He was my mentor back when I lived in Earth!" Peter explains.

"Young Spider, why don't you head to your room while I talk with the Avengers. Do you want to show them your knife before you go to bed?" Thanks suggest. Peter, beaming, whips out a small knife.

It is beautiful, about as long as two hands, with one blade at each end. Directly in the middle, a beautiful sapphire with red streaks in it lays. Smaller sapphires with red in them balance out along the sides. Peter places it on his finger, balancing it perfectly.

"It's perfectly balanced- just like the universe. Too much to one side, or the other, and it crashes." Peter demonstrates by tilting the knife to one side then the other, deftly catching it like second nature. He grins up at us, hugging each Avenger-Guardian in turn and then hugs Thanos goodnight. He skips off to his room, looking amazingly comfortable in the enemy's palace.

"What did you do to my not-son?" I ask through grit teeth. Thanks glares at me.

"I simply gave him a second chance. He never deserved any of this- never deserved his parents dying, never deserved becoming Spider-Man and all the nightmares and terrors and scars that come with it, never deserved his uncle dying in his arms, and he most certainly never deserved dying and being stuck with a bunch of arguing, petty children." Thanos spits.

"Yeah, I'm well aware of that. But why keep him here for 10 years? Treat him like a prince?" Steve asks. Thanos shifts  in his throne.

"I am old. My children are not fit to rule, and they openly acknowledge that themselves. Peter, however, is kind and forgiving. He doesn't wish to harm, and only raises his voice when necessary. He shows amazing mental strength, based on the strategies he used in the Infinity War. He would make a great ruler of Balance once he's older." Thanos states.

"Why's he so young looking?" Quill asks.

"Here, where life and death flow together, the longer you spend here the more you change. It's what you are, it depends. Normally, what reflects your heart. Young Spider's heart is innocent and pure most days, like a child. However, on days where he is done with everything, which has only happened twice, he is scarier than anything you have ever faced." Thanos answers.

"Peter? Scary? The kid nearly cried whenever I tell him he can't pet that other puppy." Bucky says gruffly.

"You do not know the half of young Spider. Do you know he remembers his parents, how they hated him, how his father treated him like Howard did to you, Stark? Do you know that he has nightmares, every night, about losing his family, his friends? About being crushed under a building again? He remembered turning to ash- seeing his legs and arms fly away, but still feel them, feel his brain disappear?" Horns snaps. I frown slightly.

"Do you know he knew that it was happening? While everyone else was wondering what was going on, his Spidey-senses told him what was going to happen to him. And his advanced healing only delayed his death- do you know the darkness that lies in his heart some days?" Squidward adds.

"Why are you so protective of him?" Clint asks.

"He is our brother. Just because he doesn't call our Father dad doesn't mean he's anything less. Spider has taught us many things. Including the "memes" of your planet." Horns answers.

"Great. Pete has the most complicated family tree in history." Bucky sighs. I nod.

"Well, I am being very rude, you will be staying for dinner, I have plenty of rooms for you all." Thanos says, standing.

"Um- we were just going to grab Pete and go-" I say quickly. Thanos shakes his head.

"Stay one week. Spider has always been excited to you what he has learned. Every day, he has asked to return to his faulted planet. Stay a week, let him show you what he has accomplished, and then we will discuss a plan for who he stays with for what part of the year." Thanos says firmly. I pout. I don't want to join this titan and his demonic children for dinner....

But food.....

I nod my head, and Thanos smiles.

"Here, let's eat." Thanks nods to Squidward, who whips up a dining table and loads of food. We sit, our weapons and armor never far.

It is a pleasant meal, with idle chit chat. Stephen and Squidward discuss different components of magic, while Horns, Natasha, and Wanda discuss the easiest way to a man's heart. I stopped listening to that conversation after down the throat and between the third and fourth ribs enter the conversation.

I watch Thanos carefully. He seems nicer, almost. Weird.

The genocidal, insane grape titan is nice.

I retire to my room, quickly falling asleep.