The Beginning of the End

Comenzar desde el principio

"He's there the Phantom of the Opera! He's there the Phantom of the Opera!" Meg ran to Juliette who placed her arms comfortingly about her younger sister. Firmin glared at Meg saying,

"Mademoiselle, show a little courtesy!" Juliette sent a protective glare right back at him. Her dislike for the managers was growing. Lefevre called the scene-shifter Joseph Buquet down.

"Please monsieur I was not at my post. If there was something there it must have been a ghost."

"Or a drunken hallucination," snapped back Juliette in an attempt to maintain calm within the chorus. Unsurprisingly Carlotta stormed off, claiming that she was quitting. "Ding dong the witch is dead," Juliette muttered under her breath.

Out of the corner of her eye Juliette saw a white envelope drop from the ceiling. She disengaged herself from Meg and walked over to get the envelope in the wings. Upon the envelope there was a red, wax, skull seal. Juliette subtly returned and handed the envelope to her mother. She then inconspicuously slid back into the group of dancers.

"La Carlotta will be back," said not all together convinced.

"Are you sure monsieur?" asked Madame Giry mysteriously, "I have a letter from the Opera Ghost." Andre groaned.

"God in heaven you're all obsessed!"

"He simply welcomes you to his Opera house, requests that you continue to leave box five empty for him, and reminds you that his salary is due," she continued calmly.

"His salary?" said Andre in disbelief.

"Monsieur Lefevre payed him twenty thousand francs a month. Perhaps you can afford more with the Vicomte de Chagny as your patron." Madame Giry maintained poised as she informed the managers of what was going on. By now the managers were ranting about how they would have to cancel and refund the whole house. Suddenly, Meg stepped forward.

"Christine Daae could sing it sir," she said. Firmin was very dismissive of her comment prompting Juliette to jump in saying, "She has been taking lessons from a great teacher." When Andre heard the name Daae he called Christine forward.

"Daae, that's a curious name. Any relation to the famous violinist?"

"My father sir," Christine replied. "Let her sing for you monsieur, she has been well taught," said Madame Giry. This was the final push and the managers conceded to let Christine try out. Reyer, who looked like he was going to have a panic attack, signaled to the orchestra. Christine looked nervous as Meg pressed the scarf into her hands.

"I'm not sure I can do this," she whispered.

"You'll be fine Chrissy do it for your angel," Juliette replied in the same low voice. As the music started Christine began to sing. Her voice was nervous at first and she tried to stop but Juliette's mother banged her cane once and Christine stepped back. Slowly her voice became fuller and louder. It was clear Erik's work had paid off. When she was done the entire cast applauded.

"Well Ms. Daae, you will be our new lead," said one of the managers grinning. Juliette suspected that the grin was less from the music and more from the fact that the pair wouldn't be losing any money. Christine was rushed backstage so that the seamstress could make the alterations.

Juliette and Meg assisted Christine as Madame Giry gave her notes on the blocking. Not long before the show started Meg and Juliette rushed back from the dressing rooms of the chorus girls. Meg made it to the door more quickly. Before she could follow her sister, a voice spoke to Juliette.

"Good luck tonight," said the smooth voice of a certain opera ghost.

"I would think you would be encouraging your student right now. Thank you all the same. I also appreciate your apt timing with the backdrop," was Juliette's reply.