"Alpha!" one of the wolves shouted, literally falling into the small camp-base. He was bleeding badly from his calf, and blood looked like it had poured out of his eyes at one point.

"Conrad," Adam said, getting a medic and helping him up. "What happened?"

"W- w- w," he stopped, seeming to start to faint.

"Spit it out!"

"Witch," was all he said, before passing out.

"That explains a lot," Jack sighed, helping a packmate pull the poor wolf up and onto a stretcher.

"It does?"

Jack turned to Adam. "Every time the hunters are here or in the area, Xavier becomes suppressed. Paige was having the same troubles earlier."

"I can confirm that," Tobias said, entering the tent. "Hunters are connected through the forsaken bond that Nocturne used to defy the Moon Goddess. A witch would be able to manipulate it and cause problems. Paige is inside resting until we can take care of the problem."

I looked over at Adam who was holding his thumb and index finger against his chin in thought. "I may have something. You three, hold down the base until I get back. Alex, use a rifle if you need to."

"Where are you going?" I asked his quickly retreating form.

"Back to the pack-house. I might have a solution to your hunter issue." Before we could get a word in edgewise, he shifted and ran off.

I held my head, leaning against a table. "Such a pain..."

"Your sister is in the back with the wounded. You may need to join her if it persists. I could feel the effects through our bond and it wasn't pleasant."

"I'll manage until Adam returns," I grunted, looking over at the small selection of rifles that were displayed from a box. I pushed off the table and walked over to get one. The metal was heavy and cold in my hands but the familiarity of it gave me confidence. All the weeks I had spent training had allowed me to become very familiar with the selection of firearms we had.

"Fine, but if you shoot me, I'll bite your leg off," he growled before shifting into his wolf form and pushing his way out of the tent.

"Such a nice brother-in-law," Jack commented once the wolf had left.

I shook my head and followed, surprised to see Adam heading toward us so quickly. In his mouth was a small leather satchel with some strange beading on the front. He dropped it at my feet when I met him halfway.

"Inside is a small fox totem. We use it to seal off supernatural elements from outside our bodies. In theory, it should block the issue you're having."

I sifted through the bag, finding the strange necklace rather quickly. It didn't really look like a fox, but the colors that were fading indicated that it might have looked better in it's prime.

"A fair warning, Alex. You won't be able to use the link once it's on. While you can still shift, you'll be temporarily cut off from the pack... and from Amber."

"Don't worry," I said, slipping it on. "I just need to find their mage and it will have served its purpose."

"Gaming reference," Jack said to the wolf that tilted its head at me.

Adam turned back to me and gave me a look that gave me all the information I needed.

Kill the witch.

I nodded and stepped back into the tent. I added two magazines to a vest and a knife to the back waist before strapping it on. With the effects of the witch gone, my mind had begun to focus once more, and Xavier was there helping me along. He knew our strong points and how to use them and I could practically feel him running over every possible scenario in my head.

But it felt empty. I had grown so used to being with pack mates and my mate that there felt like an empty space within me. It was almost painful.

"We need to hurry," Xavier growled softly. "It's not good for the link to our mate and pack to be gone for too long."

"Roger that," I muttered, pulling the rifle onto my back and turning to my best friend.

YOU'LL NEVER WIN.

"Xavier are you –"

I WILL RISE TO POWER

A sudden, blistering pain seemed to crawl into my head. I had assumed that the witch's effects had been subdued, but the more the pain persisted, the more I realized that it wasn't from the witch.

No, the pain was powerful and seemed to be coming from me. My knees buckled and I found myself on the ground with my hands around my head, nearly screaming in pain.

I AM NOT ABOUT TO BE DISGRACED BY SOME PUP

YOU CANNOT STOP ME. I WILL END YOU, IN THE SAME WAY, I DID TO YOUR PAST LIVES AND I WILL CONTINUE TO HUNT YOU UNTIL THE END OF TIME. YOU WILL NEVER KNOW A LIFE WITHOUT MY DIVINE PUNISHMENT.

The pain started to subside only a little, but enough for me to look up. I could practically see him through the tent; a power so strong, it gave Xavier a run for his money.

"Hey, you alright?" Jack asked me, putting a hand on my shoulder.

I shook my head. "I don't know. But we need to move. Now."

He nodded, shouldering the strap on his battle shotgun. "Lead the way."

----------------

It seems Alex is in for some major fighting! Thanks for all the votes, comments, reads, and everything else! Keep 'em coming!

-Kaedrik