twenty three

[psa 15

[psa 15.10.18: i'm aware this plot seems a little messed up?? but its been planned forever?? i have to set up for a sequel somehow darn it if they lived happily ever after it'd be boring]

[also read the authors note at the end k thx bye xoxox love u]

✳︎

Aslan led Phoebe, unsurprisingly, to the top of the hill overlooking the camp. It seemed to Phoebe that this particular hill was the site of the majority of important conversations that happened in their camp. She smiled wistfully as she looked down at the camp below, thinking of all the times she had sat up there with Peter. Somehow she had a feeling that this coming conversation would be much less carefree than her conversations with Peter had been. It would be something more trying than learning the alphabet, of that she was certain.

Aslan seemed to be admiring the land too, surveying it as a king does. The lion looked otherworldly in that light, with the wind blowing softly and the sun setting over the horizon. It felt eerily like a moment Phoebe shouldn't have been seeing, a moment between Aslan and his kingdom. She felt like an intruder.

"Do you think they will be good rulers?" Aslan's voice was quiet, barely a whisper. Phoebe didn't have to ask to know that he was talking about the Pevensies. Although, if he had invited her to speak with him purely to find out what her opinions of the Pevensies were, Phoebe didn't entirely know why he'd made it seem so urgent.

"I think so," Phoebe said, glancing over to the lion, who seemed to be entirely entranced by the world before him, "Sometimes it doesn't look like it, but they love each other. I guess in some ways, they balance each other out? Lucy's braver than she looks, and Susan might seem a little boring at first, but I think she'd be quite scary if she didn't like you. Peter's so protective over his siblings that I guess it's overbearing, but I'm sure he'd be just as loyal to his country. I don't know Edmund that well, but I know he loves his siblings, and from what I've seen, he's pretty good with a sword."

The lion chuckled lowly, the sound almost carried away by the breeze. Aslan seemed to always speak quietly, and yet his voice still carried far and wide. Perhaps it was a talent that came with being the most powerful being in Narnia - Phoebe didn't quite know. She looked over at Aslan, studying his features. There was something sad in the lion's eyes, a look which gave Phoebe an odd feeling. It was as though he'd been on this Earth for far too long, and he knew far too much. He seemed world-weary, and in that moment, Phoebe felt like Aslan could almost be human.

"For all it's worth, Phoebe, I believe you would be a good queen. You are just, and kind, and easily as fiercely loyal as Peter. I heard of what you did to save Lucy. That was a truly good, selfless action. Narnia would prosper under someone such as yourself. But perhaps it is best not to speak of things that will not come to pass." Phoebe was glad for the cover of dusk, because she blushed slightly at Aslan's words, even if she didn't truly believe them herself. She thought she was hot-headed and vain, and more than a little stubborn. She was nothing like Peter or the Pevensies, who were so overwhelmingly good that sometimes it hurt.