twenty

✳︎

✳︎

Phoebe took in a deep breath before stepping forward to introduce herself. Peter was still standing to Edmund's right, and he gave her a small smile, almost encouraging her to step forwards. Edmund looked expectant, as though she owed him an explanation, but then again, Phoebe figured she kind of did.

"I'm Phoebe," she said, smiling a little worriedly, "I kind of just came along for the ride. If you don't remember, Susan just kind of grabbed me out of my room and now I'm here. It's nice to meet you. Your siblings haven't shut up about you, trust me." Phoebe heard a laugh from Susan and a rather indignant huff from Peter, but Edmund just nodded.

"Nice to meet you, then. Guess you're a part of the family now." Phoebe laughed, nodding. "Although, both your initials would be the same. As long as you're okay with that." The younger boy smiled, and Phoebe smiled back, laughing at his joke. "Can we get some food, then? I'm starving." Phoebe laughed, before turning to face the others. Lucy had seemingly just noticed her own hunger, as she nodded quickly. With that decision made, the five set off down the hill. Peter rushed down to catch up with his sisters, but Phoebe dawdled, choosing instead to walk with Edmund. "Can you tell me what happened?" Edmund's voice was quiet and hesitant. "While I was with the Witch, I mean. How did everyone get here?" Phoebe nodded and gave him a small, warm smile.

"Sure," she said, still smiling, "After you left, we stayed with the beavers. I assume Aslan told you about the prophecy, right?" Edmund nodded ever so slightly. "Peter and I got into a fight, there was a fair amount of yelling, etcetera." Edmund laughed a little at that, and Phoebe raised an eyebrow at him. "Something to say, Edmund?"

"I heard you two," he said, laughing, "While I was walking. Didn't really know what you were saying, but the noise traveled." Phoebe blushed furiously, practically feeling her ears heat up, and Edmund just continued to laugh. Ahead of them, Peter glanced quickly back before returning his eyes to the ground in front of him. "I'm assuming everyone sorted all that out, then. You seem friendly enough. Your face proves it, by the way." Edmund's earlier shyness had disappeared, unlike Phoebe's blush, which stubbornly refused to budge from her face. Edmund was practically smirking with glee.

"Anyway," Phoebe coughed, somewhat awkwardly, "After that, Maugrim and his wolves came. We escaped through a tunnel which the beavers had built. Pretty convenient, hey?" She thought she saw some guilt cross Edmunds face. Putting two and two together in her head, she knew it was probably because he'd been the one who'd told the Witch where they were. "We climbed up some bloody massive trees to hide from them, but eventually they left us alone. Maugrim's dead now anyway, so I guess we don't have to worry about him." An unspoken question crossed Edmund's face, and Phoebe remembered she hadn't gotten to that part of the story yet. "Then, there was just a lot of snow. And a lot of walking in silence. Narnia's lovely, but I have to say, that was probably the most bored I've ever been in my life." Edmund barked out a laugh.