Chapter 16

They caught several trains and lost themselves in the city. Wolf was out of it and followed Shilpy obediently. His face had gone an ugly dark purple where Dusk struck him. He drifted in and out of sleep.

At one point he grabbed Shilpy's hand. His voice was weak, but when she put her ear to his swollen lips she could just make out his words. "Why help me?"

Shilpy didn't answer him. She wasn't even sure herself. Maybe she did it to curry favour, and find allies in her fight against Eris' shadows. Maybe because it was the right thing to do.

Wolf was hurt, but not critically injured. When she was sure they were safe, she slipped away. She didn't notice which station she got off at.

Bruised and in pain, she tried contacting Denise. The call went through to her answering machine. Shilpy told the machine was she saw, and that she doesn't think Thomas is coming back. She apologized and hung up.

She wandered the streets until she found a small bar. It was practically empty, except for two young guys sitting at another table talking about computers. The barmaid served her water, but Shilpy could see from her impatient looks that she want her to either buy a real drink or get out. She probably thought Shilpy was homeless, which she supposed she was.

The bruises on her face and neck wouldn't be leaving a good impression. They had subsided somewhat and felt considerably less painful. Was this was even the same night she ran from Dusk? Had a few hours passed or had she been on the run for days? She was hungry, so very hungry. She couldn't remember when last she ate.

The round crystal ball rested against her hip inside its bag. Dusk had left it behind. Whether intentionally or not she didn't know. It's all she had left. She couldn't go back to her job, to Dusk, her home, or her friends for fear someone might be waiting. There was no one left for her to go to, nowhere left to turn. She drank the water, trying to ignore the incessant pain in her stomach.

She closed her eyes. She had nothing, except the Star and a purpose. She would find whoever the Moirai wanted her to deliver the Star to. She guessed that was her life's purpose, and it wasn't like she had anything better to do. At least as far as the gods were concerned.

She liked to think she was more than what they wanted out of her. She had been Dusk's lover; Denise's friend; and Angela's rebellious student. Now, what was she? Just a messenger?

She would die soon, so she could use the Star to extend her life at the cost of someone else's. Not much of a choice.

She'd been running for years, and she supposed it made sense that she'd keep running with what little time she had left.

Her life wasn't going to be safe or normal. She was part of this war now, whether she liked it or not. Her visions showed her what was going to happen, but they'd also shown her the truth about herself and others. Her gifts had shown her that people were hurting, and she couldn't ignore that.

It was time to start again. She didn't need a gift of fate to do that. She just needed to figure out what to do next. At least this time her eyes were open. No more secrets.

One of the guys from the table behind her slipped up to the bar next to her. He ordered some wedges and another two drinks and waited at the bar for the woman to give him her change.

He was short with curly hair, slightly overweight, but not in an unattractive way. Their eyes met and he flashed her a smile, but she could see him staring at her bruises. Once he had his change he disappeared back to the table.

She sipped on the water for a while and then the waitress came back with the plate of wedges and two small bowls of dip – sour cream and sweet chili. She called out to the man but kept her eye on Shilpy.

She meanwhile had her eye on the wedges. Her stomach rumbled and ached, but she only stared. When the curly-haired fellow returned he picked up the wedges and again their eyes met.

"You look like you haven't eaten in a while." She shook her head but didn't say anything back. "We're not going to eat all these. Care to join us."

"I shouldn't," Shilpy said eyeing the barmaid.

"We insist."

The barmaid rolled her eyes and gave her a brief nod. Shilpy stood and went to follow the wedges back to their table when the woman grabbed her by the wrist. Shilpy spun and suddenly she was looking at Clotho.  

"You can trust them," she said, nodding toward the two men.  "Your new life will be short, but there will be time still for you to find some happiness."

Shilpy fell back half a step and stared at the Goddess wide-eyed. She didn't know what to say. "Go," Clotho said. "Enjoy the wedges." 

Shilpy glanced at the two men and then back and Clotho was gone. The barmaid was staring back at her.  "Can I help you?"

Shilpy shook her head and stumbled back until she reached the table and a new start, for now.

To be continued in The Star of Fate.... (2019)