Chapter 4

The bookstore was having a quiet day. With little to do, Shilpy wandered the aisle rearranging books on shelves. Her eyes kept returning to the door. She half expected the sisters from Keres Ter Nyx to walk through at any moment.

It wasn't easy, but she buried herself in what little work there is to do. A new book launch was scheduled for next week, but it only took an hour to set up a new roundtable with posters and flyers.

The door opened and Shilpy stiffens, but it was only George, one of the homeless guys who begged outside Town Hall station. He greeted her with a smile and disappeared into the shelves to browse through half a dozen different books. Eventually, he flopped into a seat on a small black couch reserved for customers.

Steve, the manager, doesn't like the homeless coming in. George smells pretty bad but he is one of the good guys and great company on the quiet days. Shilpy was particularly grateful for his presence today.

With all the stress, she'd lost her appetite, so she gave George her lunch in a clear plastic Chinese takeaway container. He devoured the content until there was nothing left except the small grains of yellow rise sticking to his beard.

They chatted about books for a while, and he pressed her as to whether there was any old stock lying about, but that's where Shilpy drew the line. She apologized. He received the news with an understanding nod before shuffling out.

She almost called him back but chided herself. Keres Ter Nyx was not going to find her. If they knew where she worked they would have been here already.

Around two in the afternoon, the lack of sleep from the previous night started taking its toll. Shilpy could barely keep her eyes open, and yet she dared not close them. She should be minding the store. It had nothing to do with any kind of fear of what might be waiting for her if she slept.

So she occupied her thoughts with the vision from last night.

Shilpy never called Angela. It surprised her that she'd even considered it. Last night's vision could easily have been a dream.

All her life she'd been preached to about the Blessed. Enlightened souls and avatars of the true gods. The day of reveal would supposedly be their ascension, and together they would speak the truth about divinity and blah blah blah everyone would start following Nyx and give them all gold boats to drive around in.

The prophecy made no sense when you looked at it closely. The old gods hated each other and used to squabble and war constantly. Why would their avatars get along? It just didn't add up, except for one thing – her.

Her curse was real. Her visions were stronger than her mother's had been, and Denise had been right when she said her mother was revered in those circles. In a way having this ability was worse than being unable to control it. Having it meant there was an element of truth to what Keres Ter Nyx preached. Terrifying.

Shilpy shook her head and texted Denise, hoping she had news. If she was being followed, her plan was to flush them out today. She would take new and unexpected routes to work. Zigzag across the city, and generally act contrary to her routine. Any sign of trouble and she would text and feign illness if the coast was clear tonight would go ahead.

It was nearly half an hour before Denise responded, and even then it was only to tell Shilpy she was too busy to talk. A good sign. She would have to wait until tonight to find out more.

Shilpy's shift finished at four. She should have enough time to do some last minute shopping before dinner.

"Excuse me."

Shilpy sat up. She had a customer. A scruffy young man wearing a black shirt and trousers was trying to attract her attention. She hadn't heard him come in. "Do you have the latest Stephen King?" he asked.