Shilpy nodded, looking from one to the other, trying to make out their faces within the shadow of their hoods. The three shrouded figures stared her down, and it was like being weighed down by a physical force. A deep chill rolled across her skin and she held her stomach. Whatever happened next, it wasn't going to end well.

Atropos, the crone, caught Shilpy's eye and reached above her head pulling a silver thread from the mist. Shilpy's eyes narrowed. The new thread felt somehow familiar, eerily so, but far shorter than any of the previous threads the Moirai wove. Somehow Shilpy knew it was hers.

"You recognize your own fate. This is good," Atropos croaked.

Shilpy swallowed. The implications of the words hit her like a physical blow. The same words repeat over and over her mind like some kind of mantra: It's so short! It's so short!

The Moirai watched her. "Have you brought me here to die?" she asked, each word catching in her throat.

For a long and terrible moment, the Moirai didn't answer. Then in perfect synchronization, they shook their heads. Shilpy exhaled, not realizing she'd been holding her breath. Why then was she here? Why show it to her?

"How much time do I have left?" she all but whispered.

"Not enough."

"To do what?" she asked.

"You must return to your world with our gift, the Star of Fate. You must deliver the Star of Fate to our chosen."

Shilpy stared from one goddess to the next. That was it? Deliver a ball to someone else? That was her entire life purpose. Well if that was how fate rolled, then colour her under-impressed.

First, they curse me with these visions, summon me to this strange underground world, tell her she will die soon and then give her a quest. Not exactly carrot and stick. Then she blinked. Chosen?

"Your chosen? but I'm the one who is blessed."

"You must deliver the Star of Fate to our chosen."

Shilpy stepped forward. "Does this have something t d with the Day of Announcement."

"What is that?" they asked in unison. Shilpy shut her eyes. She'd thought that... What fools they all were.

"Find someone else," she said.

"There is no one. You alone were blessed with your visions so that we might bring you here. The Star can extend and gift you with a new life."

Ah, there was the carrot.

Ok, so this ball might extend her life, but for how long, and to do what? Who was to say she wouldn't drop dead the moment her "purpose" was complete. Better to get a few more assurances before she agreed to anything.

"I'm quite happy with the life I have. Why give this to me? What am I supposed to do with it?"

The Moirai didn't answer at once. They didn't exchange a look between themselves or any chatter. They were aligned with a single purpose and mind. It was difficult to stand her ground against that.

"We want you to give you the time to do all that you need to deliver the Star to our chosen."

"Why?"

"Because it is needed."

"Once I've done your task, then what?"

Lachesis broke rank with her sisters and stepped forward. From within her robes, she produced a crystal ball, which she offered to Shilpy.

Soft green light, the same colour as the mist floating above, bathed the street and surrounding cars. Shilpy immediately recognized the ball from her visions. She knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that this was the Star of Fate.