"If you think you can handle them then, by all means, take our little hellions away from me." Cassandra joked, making Kit chuckle. It was a low, husky sound that she could feel as it rumbled through his chest. She was still enthralled by his laugh after all these years and she was glad that his smile and touch too still affected her as they always had. The sparks had not faded in the least, which she was infinitely grateful for. She had seen all too many relationships crumble.

"It's settled then." Kit said. "I shall take them to the farms every Wednesday so that they don't drive their poor mother to an early grave. What would I do then?"

"Thank you." Cassandra said, reaching up to press a kiss to his jaw. "What did I ever do to deserve you?"

Christopher only grinned before leaning downwards to kiss her soundly. She shifted so that she was directly on top of him as they kissed, slowly yet with an insistent impatience. Kit tugged at her hair, and she groaned lowly. Before she knew it, he'd flipped them so he was hovering above her.

He looked at her heatedly for a second, with passionate eyes before bringing his lips to hers once more. His fingers entangled themselves in her hair, pulling at it, while her hands roamed up and down his bare chest. Even after all these years, their marriage had remained as.....loving as ever.

Somewhere, in the distance, thunder clapped in the sky and rain fell in torrents. Inside, however, they were living in their own perfect world, separate from all these outside disturbances.

"Mama? Papa?" A voice called.

Except for one, it appeared.

Cassandra squealed softly as she pushed her husband off of her, and he fell to the side with a groan. Both of them looked to the door, which had opened without either of them realising and, in the doorway, stood their daughter. She was clutching at her doll, a scared look on her face.

"Juliette?" Kit said, sitting upright instantly at the sight of his daughter's fear. "What is wrong, sweetheart?"

Juliette's lip trembled and she let out a little sob before racing towards the bed and throwing herself into her father's arms. Kit caught her, rubbing her back comfortingly as he held her close. It always warmed Cassandra's heart to see him with their children, and made him even more attractive to her, if that was even possible.

"The thunder." Juliette croaked, barely loud enough for both of them to hear. "It frightened me."

"Oh, dearest." Cassandra breathed warmly, scooting closer so that she could stroke her daughter's hair. "It won't hurt you, not when Mama and Papa are here to protect you. We won't let a thing happen to you."

"Do you promise?" She sniffled and looked up from Christopher's shoulder, her watery blue eyes meeting Cassandra's.

"We promise." Kit chimed in, rocking her from side to side.

After about five minutes of this, Juliette finally fell asleep and Kit set her on the bed in between him and Cassandra.

"Sweet dreams, then, love." Christopher said, giving her his usual dimpled smile that never failed to make her heart skip a beat or two.

"Goodnight, Kit." Cassandra said, about to settle into bed when another little figure appeared in the doorway. It was their son, Henry.

"Henry, what is it?" Cassandra asked, before noting the fear in his eyes as the sound of thunder rang through the air again. The storm had scared him, just as it had scared his sister.

"Come here." She said, shifting to the side and making place for him. Kit ruffled his hair as he jumped into their bed, and settling right against Cassandra, cuddling into her. Although he loved both his parents very much, Henry had always been his Mama's little boy from the day he was born, and Cassandra loved every bit of it, especially the fact that she could tease Kit about it.

"It appears we can only sleep tonight." Kit said, but he didn't seem to mind, not when it came to their children. He pressed a kiss to a sleeping Juliette's forehead before kissing Henry on his head, who squirmed at the affection. Cassandra teasingly tapped a finger against her cheek, and he laughed softly as he leaned across their children and pecked her cheek before making sure Henry wasn't watching. Once ascertaining that his son's eyes were closed and he was probably almost asleep, Kit snuck in a quick kiss to her lips.

Cassandra should have been disappointed that she had not gotten more time alone with her husband, but she wasn't. Seeing her husband behave so sweetly and gently with their children more than made up for it.

She turned her frame so that she was facing him, sleeping on her side. Once she had done so, she found that he was in the exact same position and was watching her with a soft smile on his face.

"I love you." He mouthed to her, careful not to make a sound that would startle the sleeping demons awake.

"I love you, too." She mouthed back, unable to help the broad smile that pulled her lips upwards.

And, as she was lulled to sleep soon after, she fell asleep knowing that she had found the one place that would always be her solace and that would always bring her peace, joy, love and happiness.