Chapter Eight

"Surely you cannot go anywhere without a chaperone!" Amelia exclaimed disapprovingly, after she had helped Cassandra out of her simple cotton dress and into something a blue and white striped dress that looked fancier and more like something a lady would wear.

Cassandra felt oddly nervous and could not stop wringing her hands together. Perhaps it was the fact that she was to be alone with a man or perhaps it was the fact that the man was Kit.

Even thinking the name he'd asked her to call him was enough to make her blush. Amelia did not see her however, as she was fretting over a crease in her dress as she tried pressing it with her hand to get it out.

"Nate does not insist on one and, truly, I'd like to be alone with my thoughts today, Amelia. It's nothing against you, of course, but Hyde Park was my mother's favourite and I wish to spend some time there to feel closer to her." Cassandra lied, crossing her fingers behind her back as she did so. She felt guilty for lying to Amelia as the other girl only wanted to help, but she also did not think she could tell her of this just yet, especially as she did not know what 'this' was.

"Oh, alright, then." Amelia agreed, standing up again, apparently pleased with the state of Cassandra's dress. Her tone was sympathetic, and Cassandra immediately knew she fully believed her story about her mother. Was bringing her late mother into it going too far?

"Thank you." Cassandra said, smiling softly even as her heart raced inside her chest. She could not identify this feeling that she now felt, but knew that it was something good. She felt giddy and could not stop smiling for the life of her.

"Will you be home before dark?" Amelia asked worriedly, "I'm only asking as the streets become unsafe when night falls. Forgive me if I am speaking out of turn."

"Not at all. I appreciate your concern." Cassandra reassured her, and grinned to show Amelia that there was no harm done. "And, do not worry for I shall be gone a few hours at most."

Soon after, Cassandra hurried out of the house for Hyde Park was a fifteen minute walk from the house at best and it was already ten to noon. She would be late to meet Christopher and she hoped he did not think her unpunctual for it.

When she entered the park, she looked about for another ten minutes until she saw him leaning against a tree, looking more bored than she'd ever seen him.

"I am so sorry for my lateness." She called as she approached him hurriedly, and he looked up, startled. "I hope you have not been waiting long."

"You do not need to apologise, Cassandra." He said warmly, and she was sorry for thinking of him as a cold man when they'd first met at the Havisham ball. "And I have been waiting a while, but my wait has clearly been rewarded. You look lovely."

"Thank you." She said, feeling her cheeks colour the moment the words slipped past his lips. For a second she wondered if he was flirting with her but immediately threw the thought aside. He was a nice person and probably complimented everyone as such.

"Are you hungry?" He asked, changing the subject, and she nodded. He offered her his hand, which she took almost hesitantly. Instantly, her little hand was enveloped in warmth by his much larger one and she could feel that same warmth all the way to her bones. He led her behind a copse of trees and she gasped at the sight before her.

He'd set up a picnic for them. There was a red and white checkered blanket on the ground, on which he'd laid out meats, sandwiches, cheeses, fresh fruit, a pie and wine. There were even two fine wine glasses for them to use. She appreciated his discretion too, as he'd led her to an area where they could not be easily spied by the others in the park unless they came behind the copse as they'd done. Them being seen alone together would only invite scandal.