Chapter Five

Bucky's POV

I woke up the next morning to find my left arm wrapped around Manda's little body, and immediately pulled it away. What if I had hurt her in my sleep? 

Sleep. 

When was the last time I slept? I didn't remember, and I didn't think cryo counted. She stirred slightly, rolled over and snuggled into my chest, going back to sleep. 

I froze, unsure of what to do. I didn't want to wake her, so I laid back down and stayed there for a while. When she still didn't move, I gently moved her off of me, barely touching her, and made my way out of the room. 

I crept down the hall, all senses alert, until Steve came into view, passed out on the couch. I glanced at the clock and saw it was only 5 in the morning. I figured I was the only one awake, so I decided to take a shower. 

I started the shower the way Steve showed me and took off my clothing, being cautious of my stitches. I got in, letting the hot water roll off my face. I stood there for a long time. 

I was getting more comfortable here, but it was still strange. It was obvious Marcus still didn't really trust me, but why should he? After everything I'd done... I shook the thought from my head. I couldn't think like that anymore. I was going to get better, right? 

I sighed, deciding to wash. As I scrubbed the shampoo into my hair, my thought process took me somewhere else. 

Manda. Why did she trust me? Why wasn't she afraid of me, of my arm? Because she had no idea who you are, idiot, I reminded myself.

My next questions were harder to answer. Why did I trust her? Maybe it was because I knew she wasn't judging me 24/7, or trying to make me something from my past. 

I knew Steve meant well, but I knew he still wanted the old Bucky back. 

Maybe it was because she was the happiest thing I'd seen for 70 years. These thoughts were spinning around in my mind as I dried and changed, stepping out of the bathroom and nearly bumping into Steve. He looked surprised to see me.

"Your up! I didn't expect anyone else to be up already." He said, smiling. he put a hand on my shoulder. "How're you doing Buck? You ok?' I nodded.

"It's just a lot to get used to," I muttered, not wanting to wake anyone. We stood there semi-awkwardly for a few moments until Steve spoke up. 

"Bucky," He started, rather hesitantly "I was wondering if you wanted to come train with me? There are a few punching bags in the basement, and the floors are pretty thick. We could spar too, I don't think we'd wake anyone." He looked hopeful. 

I stayed quiet for a moment, unsure. I was terrified of hurting him, but my serum was copied from his. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad. After another second, I agreed.

"Great! Give me a sec to change, you can do the same if you'd like, and I'll meet you downstairs." I nodded and returned Steve's beaming smile with a smaller lopsided one. I decided against changing so I make my way downstairs to see if I could find some hand wraps. 

I turned the light on to reveal a full training room. I was impressed. I quickly found what I was looking for and started wrapping my right hand, finishing up as Steve walked in.

Time Skip

After destroying two of the punching bags and spilling sand all over the tarp we'd laid down, Steve finally convinced me to spar with him. We were well matched, and after a few minutes of back and forth, I had stopped holding back. 

This came naturally to me, It was what I was programmed for, but I remained in control. Seeing an opening and sweeping Steve's legs out from under him, I stepped in to grab his hand to pull him up, and that's when I saw Manda standing in the doorway, watching us.