I had a few theories now however about her magic and I needed to see her – to speak to her. I needed to see if she was okay – would she be okay with this man? Did she still know nothing about him at all? Would she understand why I couldn't get to her?

Frowning I stared determined into the mirror, I would be at that wedding whether my mate knew about it or not.

-

I was behind on a lot of school work so Alana came over to catch me up and study with me, her company had been a comfort and in a lot of ways she reminded me so much of Willa it was scary.

"Our ceremony – Talon and I – was quite rushed," she giggled. "My family refused to let me leave without it being performed and Talon just wanted me in his life so he agreed to everything. He looked quite silly wearing nothing but leaves for clothes but hey, that's how we do it."

I smiled as she babbled on about what she wore and how it was performed, Talon sounded like a proper gentlemen. I was five days away from my own and I felt sick to my stomach to say the least and I wasn't sure if Aron's scarce appearances helped me or just made me more nervous.

I hadn't received any letters from Willa and something had to have come by now and it made me feel sick to have not heard from her.

"I bet you can't wait to see your family," she said beaming at me.

I perked up instantly, "I miss them so much. My sister especially – she is so full of energy I honestly think all she is powered by is the sun, because by nightfall it's like she can barely be bothered doing anything. But she is funny, always doing things she shouldn't be doing," I smiled fondly and continued to write. "My father, always a man who plays by the book and my mother – well she's a mother, what more can you say?"

Alana smiled at me and pet my shoulder, "Now I know what gets you talking! Family!" I blushed and she laughed, "I miss my family too, you know I have five brothers?" I gaped at her and she laughed, "I grew up with a lot of bruising that's for sure."

"I can only imagine," I murmured.

"Alana," we both looked up from our scattered books to see Talon standing in the doorway. "Time to head home love, suns getting ready to rise and I'd like to get home before that." He smiled at me, "Evening Ashia."

"Evening," I said quietly, standing with Alana and helping her gather her books.

"I'll see you at school tomorrow Ash," she kissed my cheeks and pranced over to Talon who took her hand and kissed her briefly before they disappeared from view.

Sighing I gathered up my books and shoved them into my bag and left the sitting room. Standing in the main entrance of the house I wrung my hands together not really sure what to do with myself.

Josie had finally given me breathing space and was somewhere in the mansion creating my dress, the staff were all in the kitchen eating and preparing my dinner...walking through the many halls I found myself outside the brown double doors of the kitchen.

Pushing them open I practically tip toed in, looking at the scene before me. Five middle aged women were busily working in the main part of the kitchen while two other women were eating at the table.

As soon as one saw me they all stopped and stared in shock.

"Lady Ashia," one of them quickly gasped out, "sorry we did not see you. Is your dinner late?" They all whipped their heads toward the many set clocks and timers and I smiled weakly.

"N-no...I just wanted to see if um, you needed any help?" This was such a stupid idea, they may be human but that didn't mean they wanted me in their kitchen. I was intruding on their private time.

And yet I yearned for the company of people who had the ability to stand in the sun without setting on fire.

"Oh," the oldest looking one and who seemed to be in charge, murmured. "Well there's a bunch of potatoes that need peeling." She said it with an unsure tone as she looked at the other women and I smiled as reassuringly as I could.

"Great!" I can peel potatoes.

Making my way further into the kitchen and toward the big stack of potatoes, I smiled and began peeling, nearly slicing my finger when flashbacks of Aron and I had had our argument in here invaded my memory.

The women slowly began chatting again but not as boisterously as before and they threw wary glances my way at times, but I shrugged it off.

Just standing here peeling potatoes gave me a warm familiar feeling of home.

-

After I had eaten dinner – alone – I made my way upstairs and to our room, shutting the door behind me with a heavy sigh. Leaning back against it I shut my eyes and rubbed my temples. I was becoming quite frustrated now, where was he?

I quickly showered and slid into my long white night gown – a new one bought for me by yours truly. It was made of the smoothest of silk and felt brilliant against shaved legs.

Taking my brush I walked out onto the balcony and stared over the huge lake as the moon twinkled on it, brushing my hair slowly as I let my thoughts run wild.

I had honestly as of late never felt more miserable in my life, and I wasn't sure why. Maybe it was just the build-up of everything and I was finally feeling it all. Being taken from my family, the werewolf attack, the slap, the new school, my impending marriage and the fact I had barely seen Aron at all.

We were blood bonded after all, and the fact we hadn't been near each other had me feeling quite fragile.

Was he feeling the same?
Sighing in frustration I eyed the growing vine that weaved through the black bars of the balcony and the small purple flowers that grew on it. I stared at it intently and I noticed it was tremoring, or vibrating slightly.

I pursed my lips and held my palm over it, closing my eyes.

I imagined myself reaching out into it's very essence and pulling what made it live into my palm. The threads of its life tugging before it snapped and floated into my hand.

Biting my lip I lifted my palm and gasped in surprise.

The purple, delicate flower now was brown and crunchy.

Dead.

I had sucked the life out of it like Willa had back home.

I had never been able to do that before.

My heart beat fast as I tried to understand why all of a sudden my magic was working.

Placing my palm back over it, not being able to handle seeing the once pretty flower so lifeless, I tried to picture those connecting threads, weaving their way out of my hands and back into the flower, attaching them once more.

When I removed my palm I felt black spots cloud my vision before I stumbled, my hand knocking my brush over the railing as I fell to the floor.

Glancing up I saw the flower alive before everything went black. 

www.bethanyshayporteous.com
https://www.facebook.com/Bethany-Shay-Porteous-283457555158191/