Wide Awake

|16|

Mom shuts the door behind her and I sit on the huge bed. Our new house is colossal, not bigger than the last one but certainly more modern and in a nicer neighborhood. I have been given my own room, I was incredibly pleased. Yesterday, after coming home from the orphanage, I caught up on all the school work I missed.

I missed my second and third day of school, which is not really admirable. I just finished having dinner with Celia, mom and dad. We all talked about Celia’s new school which she will attend next month.

I still couldn’t get it out of my head; the words Olivia said.

Ruth has some other power. Something we don’t know of.

What powers? This question has been troubling me all day long. No matter how much I tried to figure it out, I couldn’t. I even tried to focus on other things, like studying and watching television with Celia.

“Ruth, do you want to go on a walk with dad if you’re not that sleepy?” mom peeps her head in and smiles at me. I rub my eyes, trying to figure out whether I’m sleepy or not. Turns out, I’m not really that sleepy.

“Okay. I’ll be downstairs in a minute.” I say, mom nods and closes the door. I put on my boots and jacket. I brush through my hair with my hand as I jog downstairs. Dad was sitting on the sofa and watching TV with mom. They both look at me as they hear my footsteps and get up.

“Celia wanted to go, but I put her in bed instead.” Mom says, patting my head. She hands dad his jacket and he puts it on.

“Ready? Let’s go.” Dad says and I follow him outside. It was chilly outside, and unusually quiet. The only sound that’s coming is either from the owls or the shuffling leaves. We walked on the footpath for a bit and then shifted to the main road.

“So, Ruth, why can’t you sleep? Anything troubling you?” he asks, looking at me. I shake my head, “Not really. I’m just not tired yet.” I say and he chuckles. “How is everything at school? Did you make any friends so far?” he asks, entering the empty park.

He sits on the bench and I sit beside him. “Everyone seems really friendly, but I didn’t get the chance to speak to anyone.” I say and he nods. “Didn’t anyone start a conversation with you?” he asks. Yes dad, this boy named Cameron asked what kind of a downworlder I am.

“Most were concerned about my height; they think I’m too tall.” I say and dad laughs aloud. “Which you are.” He says, patting my back. I go sit on the swing nearby and dad sits beside me. The wind starts to blow lightly.

“Ruth, I had this question in my mind I wanted to ask for a really long time.” He said. Please don’t let it be something strange.

“What is it?” I ask and he sighs.

“Are you... happy with us?” he asks. That wasn’t entirely strange but it made me feel somewhat awkward.

“Dad, I have never been more content. I've always wanted a loving and caring family, and I’m so glad to have you, mom and a wonderful sister like Celia. You all love me so much, and I love you too.” I finish and dad beams gleefully.

A part of it was true and the other part was not. I didn’t want a family, the orphanage was okay for me. I feel bad for the other kids in the orphanage who craved for a family but didn’t get one, who were so much better than me. On the other hand, I feel bad for the Daileys to have a dim-witted and bizarrely unusual daughter/sister like me.

But I couldn’t resist the fact that I started to adore the Daileys a lot, they’re very welcoming and affectionate, the perfect family everyone asks for.