Obtaining A Dragon's Pearl

The ongoing feast could be safely considered a great success. There was much laughter, good cheer, and auspicious felicitation towards the hosting family.

An Lao Daren's laughter could be heard breaking out at every other sentence, An Lao Furen's smiles could be seen touching her ears!

For the first time in a long while, all of An Family's praiseworthy sons were under one roof!

Uprighteous first born Lord An Chang Yùn, from the Bureau of Censors of the Chancellery, magnanimous and hardworking second born Sir An Chang Mó from the Ministry of Works, his third son the wildly successful merchant prince An Chang Hong, and the longed for, dearly missed fourth son the valiant Commander An Chang Jié.

Many ladies of the elder generation discreetly concealed their misty eyes and affected sensibilities, as they witnessed these filial sons surrounding their father and toasting his longevity.

An Lao Daren, this An Xiè Yù fellow, was really blessed by the Heavens! What supreme valour did he committed during a past life, to rewarded thus so? And also, this An Lao Furen! Wei Huàn Róng, ah, Huàn Róng! What meritorious deed did she gave in a past incarnation, to be so blessed in her courtyards?

The An brothers, famed for their wit and gallantry, the most sought after bachelors of the Xī Imperial City in their youth. The intervening years did nothing to diminish their charms. Many a blushing lady occasionally had to be prodded by their companions into averting their face, lest they be accused of unseemly long glances. Old infatuations still beckoned strongly despite the intervening years.

A few old bodies weren't shy about sharing their recollections of these distinguished gentlemen with the younger generation. Past gossips and forgotten shenanigans were recalled with considerable gusto.

When one of these venerable seniors gave an unexpected sigh, after such an energetic recounting of nostalgic memories, it was quite disconcerting to his avid listeners. Considering how much he was enjoying himself with sharing old lighthearted tales of yesteryears. With some prompting, he confessed to a pang of bittersweetness.

This touching reunion was missing one An sibling, he who now had long since departed for the Yellow Springs. The gentle and wise Imperial Scholar Sir An Chang Lin, the late 5th Master An, father to the scholar Gentleman Zī Líng of the prestigious Míng Huì Academy. The honourable 1st Young Master An Jing Qiú!

His audience nodded, this young lecturer was known to many of them, working tirelessly to ignite the wick of knowledge for many of the Capital's young masters and good maidens attending the learning institution.

A guest then interrupted his words with a query.

It had always been a particular point of confusion, the perplexing matter of how the youngest of An Lao Daren's son, had fathered his eldest grandchild. Surely filial decorum and propriety would've prevented a younger sibling from taking a wife before any of his elder brothers?

The venerable elder gave a quiet chuckle.

Of course such matters would be confusing to those unawares of the past. "‘Tis fortunate of them to be seated at the table of one attendee personally close to the An Family today!" he proudly said with a wide smile. Dignified men suddenly huddled closer, keen for the hinted gossip.

The late 5th Master Sir An Chang Lin, the Imperial Scholar, was adopted from a cadet branch of the clan. Due to his late entry in the family registry, he was awarded the rank of a fifth son, even though in actuality he was older than the firstborn Lord An Chang Yùn.

Exclamation erupted at this startling knowledge in that circle of guests.

What an unexpected turn of events!