A Heart's Treasure

An after-effect of An Lao Daren's birthday celebration quickly made itself known afterwards. Causing a mass sense of déjà vu upon the An Household's inhabitants. Cards upon cards of invitations addressed to An Jing Yù arrived for the perusal of his caretakers. Some were more gracefully worded than the others, but each and every one contained similar intentions.

Targeting for a better relationship with the An Family, through the eldest still unattached grandson. The value of 4th Young Master An, Gentleman Ruì Héng, as a son-in-law had skyrocketed again. Despite his actual rank within the family, a child from the lowest 5th branch. A sense of worry suffused a few people within the family. A fear for their child.

Sometimes, too much of a good thing, might be harmful.

Those people were undoubtedly betting on Gentleman Ruì Héng's future potential.

An Jing Qiú sighed as he waded through it all. Some of the senders were actually his colleagues from the Academy. Some were from the seniors of the very children that he was lecturing day by day.

Had he not made his brother's temperament clear, from all of his previous grumblings in their ears? As he moaned and bewailed over An Jing Yù's hermit-like tendencies?

Did they think that one banquet could miraculously changed that?

'And just how did some of these people came to be aware of Little 4th?' he thought to himself dubiously, reading a few unfamiliar addresses. Some of these good names weren't part of his circle, nor were they part of the An family's intricate web of blood ties and kinship.

'Oh, perhaps part of the Xu clan's connection?' he wondered. 'Xiao Yù Jīn certainly fluttered about widely enough for that!' he chuckled fondly to himself, remembering that young lordling's constantly evolving sphere of acquaintances. His younger brother's cousin certainly worked hard for Jing Yù's benefits. A pity that that it never actually came to any advantageous conclusion.

He paid a visit the 1st Branch one afternoon, for advice and help with putting names and rank to reputations.

Bound as he was to the Míng Huì Academy and the institute's source of information, it's still far better to consult and take advantage of the more experienced knowledge of his uncle and his 2nd Brother.

His uncle would most definitely have unique insider's information, from his decades of government service. 2nd Brother, exposed as he was to the higher echelons through his Imperial wife, could provide an impression of these people's personalities that he gleamed from a social setting. An Jing Qiú was grateful towards his relatives. In times such as this, they're most useful!

A conversation with 2nd Brother Jing Xuán led to a horrifying discovery, and completely dissolved all of his remaining good cheer.

It was the fault of that regrettable Royal event. And that too pretty face! And the dancing! Definitely the dancing.

The drunken dancing.

2nd Young Master An Jing Xuán, this Gentleman Xián Yù, had a lot to answer for.

Perhaps sensing An Jing Qiú's murderous intent over his misfortunate inattention during the Welcoming Banquet at the Royal Spring Hunt, the young father quickly plunked the adorable daughter he was carrying around on the lap of her fuming 1st Uncle.

Little Yuè Yào, pink cheeked and lovable, babbled with glee in her customary friendliness. Gentleman Zī Líng was rendered powerless and wasted the day with engaging the plump dumpling in his lap in the nonsensical journey of a child's erratic thought process.