FORTY FIVE: Losses

Start from the beginning

"What-these things attack poor old dragons who just come here to spend their last days in peace?" Snotlout asked, his face folding into a frown. "That's despicable! Right, Hookie?" The Monstrous Nightmare roared and slewed fire at the strange dragons. Immediately, two more blasted at Dagur, who was thrown back by Sleuther to save him. Toothless and Hookfang blasted at the strange dragons but they shielded themselves from the blasts with their wings and then took off, harried by lava blasts and flames from the others. Filled with disquiet, Hiccup watched them fly away-but as he turned around, though the trees, he glimpsed a wooden hut that had been built hard against the cliff.

"Er...guys?" he called and pointed. The whole party fell quiet as the Berserker siblings shared a glance and then walked forward. Quietly, Hiccup followed them, though the others hung back, for once respecting the privacy of the moment...though Hiccup could hear Tuffnut chasing his sister and throwing shed teeth at her.

Once they had climbed down to the hut, they peered at the wooden door-sturdy and well-made and for a second, Hiccup reached out and touched the wood, seeing the symbol burnt into the timber.

"This wood has been salvaged from a Berserker galleon," he realised as Dagur looked around, a sudden surge of guilt crossing his scarred face.

"He was shipwrecked!" he murmured, eyes fixed on the door as he walked forward. Heather paused, deferring to her older brother who knew their father much better.

"So...do we knock?" she asked as Dagur looked at the door once more, took a deep breath and then gave a false laugh.

"Maybe we should take a snack break first? I don't know about you but I'm feeling bit peckish..." he gabbled backing away. Heather gaped but Hiccup wasn't fooled for a second. He reaches out to reassure the buff red-head and Dagur visibly took control of himself. "I'm kidding," Dagur said, walking forward confidently, before resting his hand on the wood. Then he bowed his head and then turned back to the auburn haired viking. "I mean, someone had to do it-right, Hiccup? The Berserkers needed a leader!"

'Dagur-are you alright?' Hiccup asked, his tone concerned. He could see his friend was really troubled. Suddenly, Dagur lunged forward and grabbed his shoulders, his eyes darting everywhere.

"Er...sure...I mean, it was a bit of a power-grab, taking over the tribe the moment Oswald went missing...I mean, it's crazy but I never really regretted it until just now..." And then Hiccup grabbed his shoulder and forced the older viking to look at him.

"Dagur! Open the door!" he yelled, seeing all the uncertainty, the guilt, the completely-un-Dagur-like emotions crossing his friend's face. "NOW!" There was a pause as the words died away and the Berserker snapped out of his sudden crisis. Taking a deep breath, he finally turned back to the door. Heather walked to his side and quietly, she took his hand.

"I can do this, I can do this..." Dagur whispered to himself, as he walked forward.

"Together," she assures him. "I'm here for you...brother."

Slowly the pair opened the door. Musty, stale air met them, motes of dust swirling in the sudden influx of fresh air. Blinking, Dagur and Heather peered into the gloomy space. Dagur took a pace forward.

"Er...Daddy?"

And then his eyes trailed to the floor and his face fell, telling the watching Hiccup and his sister that he was far too late to express his regrets and speak to his father ever again. Heather's breath hitched as she buried her face in his shoulder.

"Daddy," she whispered.

oOo

Astrid allowed Gobber, Spitelout and Gothi to visit Stoick once a day to keep the Chief abreast of events in the village. Stoick was still weak and recovering from his wounds, but he was as sharp as ever, never allowing his half-brother to get away with anything that would endanger the village or the Tribe. Astrid reported back from the patrols, which were more efficient and more comprehensive than they had been-because she was concerned that the Fliers may realise that the village was vulnerable.