Chapter 2

Slowly Klaus turned towards Caroline. He'd thought she'd downright refuse.

This version of Caroline was way different from what he remembered.

He ran his hand down his face, his beard hair scratching him slightly.

He wasn't at all pleased at being stuck in this airport. He had missed two meetings and he'd spent thirty minutes trying to salvage a deal gone cold, and in those minutes his daughter had done one of her little disappearing acts. In all his life nothing ruffled his feathers and then Hope came along. His mother swore he behaved the same as his daughter at that at that age.

He was happy to have found her sitting safe and sound with a pregnant woman and better yet someone he was familiar with.

Hope needed someone who could keep up with her and Caroline was just the person. She was always at the helm of the ship in high school.

"What makes you think you are the right person for the job?" He questioned not wanting to seem over enthusiastic.

"What makes you think I'm not?" Caroline retorted. "Klaus do I need to remind you I used to babysit your brother, Henrik, and not once did he get hurt or sick in my care."

The fact that all I want to do is shut your mouth with a kiss that will render you speechless.

For a horrified second he thought he might have said that outloud, but when a second went without her slapping him he relaxed. "It's not that I don't think you are qualified, but I do have a long list of more experienced and physically equipped candidates for the job."

Caroline scaled. "Look Klaus, as you can see I need a job and a place to live. I used up all my money on the divorce and I just need a pick me up. Hope likes me and I like her what more could you ask for?"

Klaus was known for being able to deduce a person's character and intentions just from speaking to them and here in Caroline all he could sense was desperation.

There was no room for sympathy and desperation in business but he couldn't help the need to help her. He looked up at his daughter's hopeful eyes and back to Caroline's desperate eyes. The Caroline he knew would never stoop to begging. He needed to find out what was going on with her.

"How about this? A trial run? You work as Hope's nanny for a month and if by the end of the  month we both feel as though we can handle each other you can live. You'll be played adequately for your troubles."

Caroline nodded, glad at the turn of events. Klaus couldn't help but  admire her beauty, even with a child growing within her.

"Do you have any family?"

"My mother passed so did my father, it's just me and this little one here."

"You're hired."

Caroline could not believe her ears. It seemed as though God was finally smiling down on her, but it was too good to be true.

"But I can't be." She stammered.

Klaus groaned. "I am too tired to debate."

"Don't you need reference or something?" She asked. "For all you know I could be dangerous."

"Caroline when you babysat Henrick on a certain day, one of Kol's tarantula's escaped, you screamed bloody murder but still would not hurt it. I doubt you'd hurt my child. And I already have a reference you used to work for my family."

"That was ten years ago." Caroline scoffed. "People change."

"I'm choosing to trust you." Klaus sighed. "Do you want this job or not?"