15. Attack of the Virgins. They Go HAM!

Começar do início

“So, Christina made fun of Sady for being a lame virgin last night at some social gathering, so she made a Facebook event about how the virgins needed to stick together and protest against the Chlamydia having sluts! Ooh man, this is just history in the making.” She snapped a few more shots.

I shook my head, watching as Christina pushed through the crowd to stand up on a desk in the crowded hallways. “You’re all stupid! Put the signs down and shut up or I will make all of your lives miserable!”

“Screw hoes, all hail virgins!”

“Virgins are the way to go!”

“Virgins are the future!”

“The future, really? When you aren’t bearing children, then how are you the future?” Christina screamed at them all. I laughed. I had no idea Christina even knew such big words such as bearing.

“At least we won’t spread diseases!”

“Who said that?” She whipped her head all around. Violet kept snapping pictures and I rolled my eyes, over this. I pushed Christina aside and stood up on top of the desk.

“Guys, settle down!” I yelled over all of the protesters. All went silent. Damn, they listened. “I get it, you’re mad that some people are spreading diseases and people think it’s all of us, I get it. But, this isn’t the way to spread the word, okay? Just stay true to yourselves, who cares what everyone else does? Put down the signs and just go to class.”

“Hannah, aren’t you doing an article about the Chlamydia spreaders?” a voice called out to me.

“Yes, why?”

“So aren’t you on our side?”

I frowned, regretting this. “I’m not a virgin anymore.” Several gasps rang around the entire hallway and Christina gaped.

“You slept with Porter? Or was it Ryder? God, Hannah, you’ve been getting around.” Christina giggled.

“I don’t have to tell you who it is, but I I’m just not a virgin anymore.”

“Since when?” It was hard to tell who was asking me questions.

“Since this weekend.”

“Oh, you don’t have Chlamydia then, you’re fine.” A lot of mumbling went around expressing agreement and I sighed.

“My point is, I get it, you want to be heard. We hear you, I promise. Please, just put the signs away and clear the halls, okay?” I put my hands out, pleading.

“It’s the attack of the virgins, bitches! Ahhhhhhh!” someone hollered, and then they went back into full riot mode.

“I’m telling you, they are going HAM!” Violet yelled, snapping more pictures.

I grew angry. They are all blocking the halls and I want to get to class. “You’re all pathetic little idiots!” I snapped. Everyone stopped, growing quiet again. “No one cares, do you not get that? If you’re a virgin and you are good, no one cares. The only thing that ever matters most of the time is the bad things. All of the sluts are the ones people are going to talk about. If you’re a good kid, and you are a virgin, no one cares! Do you want to know why?”

Heads bobbed up and down.

“No one cares because the worst memories stick with us, while the nice ones always seem to slip through our fingers. This was said by Rachel Vincent in her book My Soul to Save. Do you understand what I’m saying?”

“What you’re saying is… the good things we are doing are something that no one will pay attention to?”

“Close, but no. I’m saying, you may do all the good in the world, but it’s going to slip on by, overshadowed by the bad. You staying STD free is great, brilliant, and you are forever a leader. Someone, somewhere, is going to follow your example. Someone will follow your lead, but not if you’re shoving it down everyone’s throats. A wise man told me at a leadership camp to act like I want to be and I will be what I want to act. Does that make sense?”