“Shit dude, I swear I didn’t do anything!” Evan exclaimed.

“I know you didn’t...” I heard my brother faintly say as I pushed through the double doors. I ran as fast as I could through the hallways, making my way towards the front doors. I needed to get out of here and let my wolf out before I exposed our secret to some human. Even though my wolf wasn’t too happy that I wasn’t with my mate, she had grown to liking the idea of me and Evan being together. She was at as much loss of with his death as I was. I took a sharp turn around a corner and slammed into what was most likely a person, causing books and papers to fly everywhere.

“Oh my gosh! I’m so sorry!” I said swiftly picking up the books and handed them back to the person who dropped them. I looked at their face and I knew my eyes had gone wide. It only took seconds for me to recognize her dark brown hair and eyes. Her lips curved up into a smile as she attacked me with a hug. I gladly hugged her back. “Rachel! It’s been forever.”

“Tell me about it. Maybe now I’ll actually enjoy coming to school.” She said letting go of me and continuing to pick up her stuff.

“I’m sorry about running into you.” I said as I heard faint steps and someone screaming my name come from behind us. I turned around to see Jane running towards me, her arms open wide as if she wanted a hug. "Jane, I'm fine." 

"Sorry, it's just that everyone kept asking what was wrong with you and your brother refused to say anything." She said as she came up to us. She looked at me before turning to Rachel. "Hey, I'm Jane."

"Rachel." She replied, shaking her hand. We chatted for a while and by the time I was completely calm the bell rang. Saying goodbye to my friends, I made my way towards my reading class with a smile on my face.

--------------------------------------

I jumped into my car, impatiently waiting for Alden to come out of school. When he finally did he jumped in and began blabbering on about how awesome his day was. I had zoned him about by the time we left the school parking lot and soon we were at home sweet home. Our pack chose to live wherever we wished instead of one giant house, but we were all fairly close to each other.

Once inside my house I set down my backpack and told my parents that I was going for a much needed run. I slowly made my way towards the forest and stripped behind a tree before shifting into my wolf. Most of my fur was white as snow, except for my paws and my right ear, which were covered in black fur. It looked like I had stepped in an ink set and scratched my ear. The only feature that was similar to my human side were my dark green eyes that had somehow managed to look darker.

I darted through the forest, running as fast as my wolf wanted too. I let out a content howl,and surprisingly someone had returned it. I wondered who else was out here with me and prayed that they weren’t too close to me.

Ignoring the other wolf, I kept running until I had reached the creek that was embedded in our forest. It was my favorite place to go besides a secret cave that was buried deep into the rocky hillside. I bent down and lapped up as much water as I could before laying down on the grass. I looked around making sure I was alone before drifting off into a nap.

 I awoke to someone nudging the side of my head. Reluctantly I got up and was greeted by a  pair of dark brown eyes. I stretched my muscles before licking my brother’s face.

Ew, gross. Now I have Hazel germs. Oliver’s voice echoed in my head. I laughed and made my way back towards our house. When we reached our familiar backyard, we shifted and threw our clothes back on. Once inside our house, I headed up to my room and started on the mountain of homework I had received. You’d think that because it was our first day we wouldn’t get that much work, but nooooo the teachers have to torture us. I finished it all about an hour and half later, just in time for dinner.

I made my way to the dining room and ate with my family in silence. There was an unusual tension sitting in the air and it was really bugging me. I wanted to ask what was up, but just as I was about to open my mouth, there was a hard knock on the door.

My father got up to answer it and from the main entrance you could hear him and another male speaking. A few minutes later my father walked back into the room, a blonde and a brunette boy in tow. The blonde's grey eyes met mine and I gave him a smile which he returned. 

"This is Jared," my father said, motioning to the blonde boy. "And that's Michael. These are two of the boys I told you about. You'll meet Brian later though." 

"Welcome, please take a seat." My mother said kindly as she went to get two more plates and sets of silverware. Jared took a seat next to Alden while Michael came over and sat by me. Even after we all began eating again, no one said a word. After we were done eating, I helped clear the table and then went to see what my brothers were doing. I heard voices come from the living room and guessed that they were probably playing some video game. I pushed through the door to see Alden and Jared sitting on the ground, while Michael and Oliver sat on the couch. They all had controllers in their hand and I looked to see that they were playing some fighting game.

“Dude, you killed me!” Michael shouted, kicking Jared who luckily sat in front of him. He let out a groan but didn’t say anything back. I watched them battle until the screen read GAME OVER in red letters.

“Yeah, we won!” Oliver exclaimed, giving Michael a high-five.

"That's only because we let you win." Alden protested. "I declare a rematch!"

"No you didn't let us win, we won because we're awesome." Michael said with a smirk. I laughed and was about to walk out of the room when Oliver grabbed onto my wrist, jerking me back. I smacked his arm and pried his hand from wrist. 

"Guys, this is our sister Hazel." He said. Michael let out a whistle and I rolled my eyes as both of my brothers growled at him. Oliver glared at him before continuing, "You're not allowed to get with her."

"Awh, you just ruined my life. Thanks a lot." Jared jokingly replied. A smile crept its way onto my lips as the boys began to argue about whether or not I should be off limits. After they finally finished their debate, the room went completely silent.

"Well, it's getting late," Michael said. I looked over at the clock to see it was already nine thirty. "We should go. It was nice meeting you guys, and we'll definitely be coming to your cousin's party on Wednesday." 

"Ok, bye. See you later." My brothers said at the same time. Every year for my cousin Logan's birthday party, his parents always rented some sort of carnival ride which sort of made it the party of the year. This year since he was turning sixteen, it was expected to be more extravagant than usual. 

"Kay, well, I'm going to go to my room." I told my brothers before heading towards the stairs. As I walked up them, I pulled out my phone from my back pocket and texted Rachel. 

Me: Hey, I was wondering if you wanted to come to my cousin's birthday party. She had replied by the time I made it to my room. 

Rachel: Sure, sounds like fun. What time? 

Me: Be at my house by seven. I replied before plugging my phone into it's charger and shutting it off. I stripped out of my clothes and threw my pajamas on before crawling in bed. I grabbed my iPod from the bedside table and began untangling my headphones. The one thing I didn't understand was how they managed to get all tangled up in the first place. Was it really that hard for the earbuds to stay away from eachother? I shoved them into my ears and let the music carry me off into a peaceful sleep.

"It's one hundred and nine degrees in this crowded room
No room to breathe with walls as cold as a gallery
This is no place for me.."

[A/N]: so you're probably wondering why I metioned the party.. or maybe you're not. o.O anyways, you should know that this party is going to be playing a very important part in Hazel's life.. DUN. DUN. DUN. haha (: