No. She stilled those thoughts. It was now or never. Breaking their eye contact, she let her heartbeat calm down then started moving forward. Gradually guests started seeing her and almost half of them did a double take to convince their eyes they weren't imagining her or seeing a ghost. Plastering a smile on her face, she kept walking. Heading straight to where her husband was. He still hadn't looked away from her, but the shock on his face had been replaced by pure rage. Okay, so he was mad that she'd disappeared. Good. His rage would work into her plans perfectly. Stopping in front of him, Emilia widened her smile then said "Hello Max"

In a flash that bitch Lisandra was by his side. "Who the Fuck invited you?" she snarled, her face contorting in anger.

"I don't need an invitation to my own house, Lisa," Emilia replied in a sweet voice.

"This is not your house!"

"Calm your titties, my friend. As the law dictates, half of what my husband owns is mine. Which means you have no right to kick me out or even talk to me. So go sit down and wait for your turn"

"You Fucking...." she started toward her but was pulled back by Max who shoved her behind him. Then his hand was on her neck squeezing. Very tightly. Not the welcome she was hoping but it was better than she could have imagined.

"What the Fuck are you doing here you Fucking bitch?" he bellowed his voice sounding like he was on a microphone because everyone had gone silent to watch the drama unfold. Rolling her eyes Emilia thought that the first thing she was going to do was wash their mouths. The F word had been uttered more than a hundred times in the last five minutes and that wasn't okay. It just wouldn't do. Period.

-------------------

Max smiled at Gwen who couldn't stop giggling. Finally, his little sister was happy after the tragedy that had happened nine years ago, leaving them sad and struggling to come to terms with it, he and Darren, his younger brother, had tried the best they could to help her but she still ended up depressed and heartbroken. It was a hard time for their family, but it was twice as hard for him because his wife abandoned him, when he needed her the most. Had he not been busy taking care of Gwen and his mother, he would have been the one who ended up depressed. Just the thought of Emilia alone made his stomach churn with anger. He'd loved her so much but how had she repaid him? Realizing he was gripping the glass he was holding harder than necessary, he loosened his grip, banishing thoughts of that woman. Never again would he let himself be deceived like that. Never.

Today was a happy day for the family. His little sister had gotten engaged and that was cause for celebration. Of course being the overprotective guy he was, he'd refused to give them their blessings until he knew for sure that Albert Knox was good enough for his sister. He had investigated, interrogated, threatened and sweet talked him into doing things that would get him into trouble but the guy was clean. Which only made Max happy that his sister was a lucky girl for finding someone so honest. Someone who loved her and was willing to walk to the end of the earth just to prove it. So even if he was slowly dying inside, he was going to plaster a smile on his face all day and celebrate with Gwen. It was the least she deserved. Later when he was alone in his room, he'd let himself feel everything.

Moving around the crowd, he made conversation with everyone, making sure they were enjoying the party before moving on. Most of the guests were Gwen's friends and colleagues but he had also invited a few of his closest friends. Seeing an empty table, he walked to it and placed his glass on top of it. His face hurt from smiling too much but he wouldn't let any other expression show. He was genuinely happy for Gwen but it also reminded him of a time he had been so happy. When he'd proposed to Emilia. They were so in love that they hadn't waited to plan a real wedding. She'd worn a veil she'd found at home with jeans and sneakers and he had been dressed in shorts and a T-shirt. They had been that spontaneous because they couldn't wait for another second to be man and wife. How blind he'd been back then. Feeling the hairs on the back of his neck stand, he turned and came face to face with his worst nightmare.