"I'm sorry they caught you."

"Well, I suppose if I have to be a glorified lab rat, at least I have a belle cell mate."

He moved around so that he was lying on the floor, his head close to Rogues cell. Pretty soon she had mimicked his position and their heads were inches apart, separated only by the beams of the forcefield. Remy made small talk with her, trying to keep her spirits high.

He'd been there about two hours when a bell sounded, and up through the floors came a tray of bland finger food and a plastic glass of water. Remy reached for the tray and dragged it over to where he was lying.

"You not eating, chère?" he asked.

She shook her head. "I'm on hunger strike."

Remy had noticed how gaunt she looked but he had never dreamed that she had stopped eating.

"They allow that around here?" he asked.

Rogue shook her head and looked at the floor.

"Rogue?"

She gave a deep sigh, then replied. "Each day after my tests, they hold me down, shove a tube down my throat and force feed me."

Remy wished that he could say that he couldn't imagine anything worse, but he could. He had already experienced worse at their hands.

"I'm sorry, chère."

Rogue shrugged.

"Maybe today'd be a good day to end that hunger strike," he said as quietly as he could. When she looked up, shocked, he gave her a wink so fast that she almost missed it.

A smile began to twitch the edges of her lips as she realised that something else was going on but he glared at her, quelling her expression before an overeager guard could notice her smiling on the camera feeds.

"Maybe later," she said with a theatrical sigh.

Remy ate his food but it seemed to have been prepared with the sole purpose of having absolutely no taste whatsoever. Still, food was food and beggars couldn't be choosers.

Rogue ate hers about an hour later, and she ate slowly so that no one would think that she suddenly had a reason to eat. The hatch in the floor opened again a while later but nothing was there.

"They want the tray back," Rogue explained. "If you don't, they'll give you ten seconds of the pain setting next time you're being tested. They up it by ten seconds for every infraction."

So Remy placed his tray in the hole, like a good little prisoner.

They talked for a while longer, until Rogue' eyes began to grow heavy. She was pretty sure the last meal they had been served was dinner, so it was probably getting on for evening. If she was honest though, ever since she'd stopped eating and been force fed, she was much more tired than usual. She didn't mind actually, because at least while she was asleep she could go anywhere. Only when she was awake was she trapped here, in this 6"6' by 6" cell.

Remy let her sleep for a few hours. If his internal body clock was right, and knowing that they would take his watch he'd been training himself, it was just gone 8 o'clock at night, so he had another two hours to go before he could make his move.

Gradually the soft conversation from other cells began to quieten and before long, most of the other prisoners seemed to be asleep too. Remy crossed his arms under his head and closed his eyes as well, all the better to lull the guards into a false sense of security.

"Rogue, Rogue!"

She heard he name being called but so quietly that she almost didn't register it in her sleep.