#PlanetOrPlastic

CONTEST CLOSED. 

One story. An ocean of change.

Plastic pollution is a global issue. Our oceans, marine life, and beaches are caught in the balance, and we're the ones to blame. The world is drowning in single-use plastics like bags, straws, and forks. Our reliance on plastic is killing marine life and destroying precious ecosystems, and soon, it could be impacting us.

But one story can create a ripple, and hundreds or stories could create an ocean of change.

Wattpad has teamed up with National Geographic to wake the world up to the potential impact of single-use plastics. In 500 words or less, we're asking you to share a story—real or fiction—inspired by one of these heart-breaking photos.

 In 500 words or less, we're asking you to share a story—real or fiction—inspired by one of these heart-breaking photos

Use your creativity to create an ocean of change by inspiring others to consider the impact of plastics on the planet

Use your creativity to create an ocean of change by inspiring others to consider the impact of plastics on the planet. Maybe yours is a horror story about a future without oceans. Or perhaps yours is an adventure story, written from the perspective of a journalist on the front lines of the plastics crisis. Or maybe your story explores a world without plastics. What would that look like?

However you're inspired to turn the tide with your story, post it to your profile and tag it #PlanetOrPlastic.

In November, Wattpad and National Geographic will be selecting and featuring our 10 Planet Or Plastic submissions from around the world in a reading list on the @NationalGeographic profile. One amazing winner will go on to be published in a National Geographic Digital Publication, receive a one-year subscription to their National Geographic publication of choice, and be announced from both National Geographic and Wattpad's social handles!

Our National Geographic judging panel features National Geographic Journalists, editors, and plastic experts from around the world! The National Geographic judging panel features:

Susan Goldberg, Editorial Director, National Geographic Partners, and Editor in Chief, National Geographic Magazine
Trudi Trueit, author of the new National Geographic's Explorer Academy series and more than 100 other fiction and nonfiction books for young readers
Laura Parker, Journalist writing about plastic and published in National Geographic Magazine
Jenna Jambeck, National Geographic Explorer and Plastic Expert 

Don't forget to post your story by December 30th, 2018. It's time to decide: #PlanetOrPlastic 

Submission Guidelines:
1. This is a global contest. While we encourage submissions in all languages, only English submissions will be considered for prizing. 
2. Your story can be a maximum of 500 Words. Anything over that will be disqualified!
3. Entrants must be 13 years of age or older at the time of entry
4. You can enter as many times as you want, as long as your entries meet our guidelines.
5. Your story must be original and created by YOU!|
6. Your story must be tagged #PlanetOrPlastic