Chapter 7

Chapter 7

“Understanding that would let us understand more about the parasite,” Orlean said.  “I mean, looking at it logically.”

“Da’ boy’s right,” Dublin said, scrubbing the gruff stubs of hair on his face.  He remembered shaving yesterday morning.  “Jus’ got to have some purpose for the security,” Dublin said.

“Security?” Helena asked.

“Aye, whatever built that underground facility didn’t want just anyone to access it, so that means there’s something inside, right?”

“Has to be,” Athen agreed.

“So, Austin is right.  There is something inside worth protecting.” Dmitry added.

“Without doubt,” Orlean said, excusing himself to go retrieve his prosthetic arm. 

“Be honest, who needs to go back to sleep?” Dmitry asked.

“Like any of us can sleep now,” Athen huffed.  Dublin chuckled.

“Tis’ so, we all pretty awake.”

“Carolina is up!” Orlean said, popping his head out.  Austin flew past Helena almost pushing her over. 

“Daddy?” Carolina said.  Her eyes were still closed.

“I’m here, honey, I’m right here,” he assured her. 

“I’m scared daddy,” she said.  It was such a relief to hear her talking.

“There’s nothing to be scared of, everything’s going to be okay,” Austin told her.  He hoped it wasn’t a lie.  There were only two weeks left before the return trip home, assuming that was still true.  Then he wondered, with all of this, would Dmitry find a way to delay their return?  No one back home still had any idea about their discovery.  Austin took a long breath, he had a hard time smiling when Carolina looked at him.  Worry riddled him, worry about the unknown.  He had promised Dmitry he wouldn’t go and try to contact command by himself, but that was before Carolina was attacked.  Austin felt her forehead.  “Are you feeling better?”

“A little,” she said. 

“Good,” he answered, fetching some water for both of them.  He took a sip and let her try to sit up.  She took the cup carefully with another soft smile.  Austin sat there, studying her, thinking about what to do.  It was important to give the team what they wanted, a chance to take advantage of this discovery.  But he couldn’t let anything delay their return trip home.  He needed a way to pressure Dmitry, to keep him honest.  A way to keep all of them honest, Austin knew what greed could do.  He shut his eyes and gathered the resolve he needed to buy his insurance.  If the people at command at least knew something, that would be enough.  “Wait here, honey,” Austin said, handing Carolina the cup of water.  Keeping his ear on the conversation outside, Austin walked down the hallway to the com equipment inside the lab.  He sat down in front of the computer and prepared to send a quick message before anyone came to check on him.  He hoped this was a good idea.

FROM PAPHOS CREW: BE ADVISED, WE HAVE ENCOUNTERED A FOREIGN ELEMENT. STAND BY FOR MORE. 

He just wanted something small, something simple, so that it didn’t sound like an accusation.  He didn’t want to implicate any disobedience by his fellow crew, not until they were all safely home.  Austin sent the message.

Outpost operators would transfer the message back to Earth, wondering what the Paphos crew meant by ‘foreign element’.  The implications would start rumors, all of which were controllable, and encourage the company to follow up on any claim Dmitry might make for needing a delay.  So at least, if all else failed, there was someone back home who knew something.  The dye was cast, as they say.