Chapter One Hundred And Fourteen - Look Into My Eyes

Start from the beginning

"That I will leave to your imagination," he told her. Nothing, her eyes were glassy from drinking too much, but there was nothing else of interest there.  He made his way back to the bar as they whistled at catcalled him and placed the tray down with an audible sigh.  Tina came over and slid a coke his way.  He glanced up at her.

"The wicked witch of the west is out the back reducing her life span with a cigarette," Tina shrugged, "and you look like you could do with this."

He scented a strong background note overpowering the soda, but took a long sip anyway.  It burned at the back of his throat.  Ah, he was correct in his analysis; the coke in the drink was just for show.  "Thanks," he wheezed slightly. 

"You're welcome," Tina grinned.

"Don't let dragon lady catch you," Flynn warned.

"She drinks more than any of us anyway," Tina retorted.  Adam noticed that she had fairly pale blue eyes.  Not as pale as Owen's eyes... his mind began to wander.  A waving hand brought him back to reality.  "What were you thinking of?  Your face went all soft for a moment."

Adam began to blush as if caught red handed.  "Ugh, what a horrific look," the boss chose that moment to approach them.  The whiskey with the splash of coke vanished from the bar swiftly.  Lacey glanced at Adam up and down for a minute, her features twisting, clearly disgusted with what she saw.  Tina appeared startled, wondering what her colleague had done to deserve such scrutiny.  "If you are going display such bliss, do it in your own time!"  The woman vanished towards the employees only area, which held her small office.

"Bliss?" Tina glanced at Adam again, then grinned, knowingly.  If there was one thing their boss was famous for, besides being the most hated woman in town, it was the fact that she could smell a happy relationship a mile away.  She hated love, hated people in love and hated people displaying their love in public and she made sure everyone knew.  "Share!"

"Later, there's still work to do," Adam evaded as he quickly made his way to another table to gather empty glasses, suffering two pinches to his bottom for his troubles.

"Who would have known that the infamous 'Black Zeus' worked in my favourite nightclub all of this time," a woman said softly as he collected an empty wine bottle from the centre of the table.  He looked up to see a familiar and pretty brunette. 

"I hope you are wearing sensible heels this evening," Adam smiled, recalling their last meeting. 

"Ah yes," she said, revealing black and silver sandles with kitten heels.

"I'm not sure how Black Zeus is infamous, though," Adam said, questioningly.  Her red stained lips curved and she glanced at him through long black lashes as she stroked her half filled wine glass.

"That depends who you speak to," she replied.  "Such as my hubby."

His eyes narrowed.  "I'm not sure I follow you."

"Think harder," she suggested.  "I may not be the top female player, but I can give her a run for her money, you know."

"Wait, you're Suffer The Wrath!" Adam exclaimed, as the puzzle pieces fell into place.

"Ugh," her friend muttered.  "If you are going to talk about that game again, I'm going to grab another bottle.  White or red?"  There were more in their group in favour of her buying white than red.

The brunette chuckled, though whether this was in reaction to Adam or her friend, only she knew.  "I'm a little hurt that you didn't remember me," she pouted.  "I did play against your team you know."

"I was.. a little distracted," Adam admitted.  Even now, the image of his lover squirming beneath him haunted the dark behind his eyes.  It made his throat dry and he wondered what Tina had done with that drink.

"I hope you don't blame your defeat at my hubby's hands on whatever distracted you," she said in mock warning.  As she repeated her claim on that person, Adam felt more than a little irritated.

"Not at all," Adam replied.  "Requiem Knife is an extremely talented player.  I can only blame my lax ways.  I automatically attempted to use hot keys."

The woman laughed, "so did I!  Ah, it's too easy to use hot keys to throw out skills isn't it!  If I ever want to join the tournament, I should probably practice fighting without them.  How about you?"

"How about me, what?" Adam asked.

"Will you join the tournament, if Pure Technologies actually hold one?" She asked.  Adam wasn't entirely sure what she was speaking about, he and Owen had snuck away during the battle for third place.  However he could get the jist of it from her words.

"Probably not," Adam replied. 

"Oh, why not?" She asked, tilting her head and looking at him through her vivid green eyes.

"No time," Adam answered.  "What with work... work and more work..."

"But isn't working this place part time?" She murmured, giving Adam pause.  However he couldn't find anything suspicious in her eyes or the words.  With the exception of the boss, everyone here worked part time.

"Who said that I only work here?" He asked, before deciding he best get back to work, less he lose one of his jobs.  She didn't seem to be the one either so there was no point continuing their conversation.

The bottle of white wine was placed in the middle of the table and those with empty glasses scrambled near to get a refill.  The girl who had purchased the bottle, tutted, before stingily pouring small amounts into those glasses and a healthy amount into her own.  She turned to her friend, Harmony, who was still nursing her glass.  "So?  I take it you know that hunk of stud muffin!" She said.  "Please, do share!"

"Why?  You aren't interested in that game!" Harmony laughed. 

"If he's playing it, I could be," the girl grumbled.  "He has a voice of pure sin! And the package is just as yummy."

"Doesn't he just!" Harmony agreed.  "Alas, I don't actually play with his team, in fact we are rivals!  The only time I get to hear his voice is when he is cursing me for taking out his minions!"  She rubbed at her left eye for a moment.

"He can curse me anytime!" Her friend said, before noticing Harmony's discomfort.  "Are you alright?"

"Yes," Harmony replied.  "Just my contact lens feels a little dry."  She downed the last of the pale liquid in her glass.  "Now pour me some wine woman!"  Her friend began to grumble, but did as she asked.