three: Schemer

Zacznij od początku

Once inside her room though, she had thrown herself on the bed, fighting back the angry tears that pricked her eyes, composing herself, before she looked for the suitcases she had packed only this morning, in anticipation of moving back into Ashok's house again. "Correction" she told herself. "Not just Ashok"s house, my house too."

She had changed now, and now she was furiously thinking , thinking of how to turn the situation around, how to emerge victorious out of this mess. She knew she held a trump card that would shake Ashok to the core - well, there was no better time to use it, was there?

She walked up to the dresser, skilfully reapplying her make up to hide the ravaged look in her eyes. "You will win Shagun" she told herself again, as she walked out to the living room.

Adi
Adi looked sullenly at his father. He hated that Raman Bhalla, hated him for the grief he must have given to his mom, that had made his mom leave her marriage, hated that horrible wife of his, hated him, hated him, hated him.

But mom had told him to go to that man, mom had told him to ask him to take them home, and he would always do what his mother asked him to. After all, she was all he had - they only had each other, everyone else were liars and losers.

That Ashok for instance, he had overheard him that day when he had been talking to that disgusting brother of his, talking about dumping his mom. But he had tried to ignore it, had tried to ignore his voice, had hoped his mom would finally be that mans wife, so she could stay in the style that she should. Ashok papa he had called him. But he had been such a liar too.

Adi hater the fact that he was still so young, that he couldn't take care of his mom on his own. Once he grew up, then he would take care of his mom by himself, he would make sure she had everything she wanted in the world, then she wouldn't need anyone of these horrible men.

"Adi, beta, tum bhi ja kar change kar lo" (Adi, you go and change too son) that Raman Bhalla was saying.

Adi stood up. Better to go than to sit here with him after all.

"Adi" his father continued, a look of concern on his face. "Beta, don't worry too much. Sab kuch theek ho jayega" (Adi, don't worry too much son. Everything will be allright)

"Papa is right Adi" his moms voice cut in above his fathers's. She had come back into the room unnoticed by him. She had changed and she looked much happier than she had bend in the car. He looked hopefully at her. "Mom..."

"Go and change and go to bed Adi. Tumne dinner kar liya tha na, function mein?  Mein kuch der mei aati hoon tumhare paas." (Go and change and go to bed Adi. You've had dinner at the function, haven't you? I'll come and see you in a while) Shagun said firmly in a voice that brokered no opposition, displayed no emotion.

Adi stared at his mother for a long moment then turned towards his room.

"Say goodnight to papa, Adi" his mother's sharp voice stopped him in his tracks.

Adi turned around and forced his face to smile. "Goodnight papa" he said.

Raman & Shagun
Once Adi had left, Mihika had began to fuss around Shagun, insisting on making coffee for everyone, and Raman had tuned out of their conversation for a moment, losing himself in his own reminiscing. He smiled to himself, even as Mihika hovered solicitously around Shagun, and Shagun lapped up the attention.

The object of his thoughts was the woman who had turned his life upside down. His madrassan. His Jhansi ki Rani.

He still could not believe that he had finally gathered the courage to tell her how he felt, and that she had reciprocated in the way she had done. She had felt so amazingly good in his arms. He could still feel her, still smell her, still taste her. He ached for her, ached to take her into his arms again, to love her and caress her all over. Their encounter had been too brief, too hurried, he needed to continue his exploration of her, needed to assuage the hunger that still flamed inside.