two: Promises Broken Promises Made

Ten Minutes Later
Raman and Ishita paused just before the door to the reception hall.

Her hand was gripped firmly in his, and the glow on her face had not dimmed a single iota. Raman had spent the entire time during the walk from their room and in the lift lost in her eyes. He had never seen her look as beautiful as she did now, the glow on her face reflecting the inner radiance that came from true satisfaction.

He was as happy as she looked, and he ached to continue where he had left off with her.

She had been staring shyly at the floor for the past few seconds, overwhelmed by the intensity of his love, and the joy that was reflected in his face. She had never seen him look happier, and she was overjoyed at the realization that his happiness came from her.

She looked up at him as they stood at the entrance.

"Chale?" (Shall we go?) She asked softly.

"Hmmm" he responded huskily, dropping a swift kiss on her upturned lips. "Chalo" (Let's go)

The buzz of conversation in the room dimmed and then rose again, as Raman and Ishita entered the hall.

"That's her ex husband" "Woh yahan kya kar raha hai" "That must be the new wife" "What are they doing here?"

The whispers came to them as they stood at the entrance, her hand clasped protectively in his, her pink sari and softness a foil to his hard form in black. She could feel him tense as he heard what was being said, and she softly caressed his fingers with hers, seeking to reassure.

"Bhai, Bhabhi" Mihir came rushing up to them."you both look amazing as always"

He did a double take at the look on Ishita's face. "I take that back Bhabhi, you don't look anything as usual. You look absolutely stunning. Aakhir baat kya hai?." (Just what is the secret?)

"My buddhu is right for once" Mihika had come up to them as well. "You look amazing akka, koi nayi makeup use kiya hai kya. Aap ke chehre pe aisi glow toh pehle kabhi nahi dekha." (You look amazing akka, have you used some new makeup? I've never seen such a glow on your face before)

Ishita blushed at the compliments, conscious of Raman's hand holding her tight, the touch of his skin brushing hers evoking memories of the moments they had just spent together. His grip on her hand tightened, and he directed a look of such intense love at her that she blushed furiously.

"Ruhi kahan hai Mihika" she asked quickly to cover her nervousness. (Where is Ruhi, Mihika?)

Mihika looked curiously at her sister's blushing face. "Woh wahan mandap ke paas, flowers le kar ready hai. Shagun should be coming now. Chale hum Ruhi ke paas?" (She is there near the mandap, ready with the flowers. Shagun should be coming now. Shall we go to Ruhi?)

"Haan" (Yes) Ishita made to move forward, but was checked in her steps by Raman's firm hold on her hand.

"Raman, aap bhi chaliye" (Raman, will you come too?) she asked softly, glancing shyly at her husband.

"No, you go. I'm fine here with Mihir" he responded with a smile.

She tugged at his hand. "Phir haath chodiye na" (Then do leave my hand please) she whispered, as both Mihir and Mihika stared at their entwined hands with dawning delight.

"Kabhi nahi" his voice was husky and sent shivers down her spine. "Kabhi nahi chodunga". (Never. I'll never leave it)

Mihir burst out in delighted laughter. "Bade romantic ho gaye ho bhai" (You've become very romantic bhai) he had started to say when the sounds of the microphone being turned on stopped him mid speech.