Chapter 1 - For the First Time

"This is so not fair!"

"What are you talking about, Tomo-chan...?"

"You got a perfect score on the chemistry exam. Again."

"Um... sorry? Look, it's the one subject I'm good at – please just let me enjoy it a little!"

"You always that, Atsu-chan... Shouldn't there be a subject I'm good at too!?"

"You'll find one soon enough... I hope..."

"What was that!?"

"Nothing, nothing. Nevermind, Tomo-chan!"

"Hmph. It's still not fair."

"Hey, look, you can sulk all you want, but we gotta part ways now. See you tomorrow!"

"Sure. Bye, Atsu-chan!"

Those were the words which put an end to Saeki Atsuhi's time with her friend since the start of Middle School – Tomomi, for the day, and marked the start of the lonely walk back to her small apartment. As she clutched the straps of her bright red backpack, the girl walked along the familiar sidewalk and gazed at all the same buildings and displays, much like she did every day after school.

Passing by a particular entrance, however, Atsuhi paused to take in the view. A light blue sunshade, magazines advertised in front of the door, some recent books displayed at the front, and, most notably, the bookshop's few posters of All Might, hung up on its single small window.

It was next to impossible to find even a young child who didn't know who All Might was. Though he carried many awe-inspiring titles, the hero always smiled fearlessly in the face of his enemies, bringing hope and comfort to those he had sworn to protect. This nature of his inspired thousands of students to choose the path of professional heroes every year, becoming something thought of only as a made-up job merely a few decades prior.

Atsuhi was no exception. While not the only reason for the choice that she had made, All Might was always there to remind her of her dreams. Both figuratively, and literally, as she had once long ago bought those two posters from this very bookshop and hung them up in her own room.

Ten months. It will happen in just ten months!!

As Atsuhi thought of the single exam that was likely going to decide her whole future, she shook her head before her nerves successfully got the better of her.

No point thinking about it so early! I'm doing my best to prepare so I'll surely pass...

With one final look at those posters, the girl bid goodbye to the small bookshop internally, and continued on her way.

It was only after the air around her unexpectedly became too hot to even bear that she was forced to stop and make out what was happening, but-

BOOOOOM!!

W-was that... an explosion!? What... Wait, why did everything go black!?

Before she could panic any further, Atsuhi realized her sight had been obscured by her own arm, which she had lifted up to shield her eyes instinctively at the sound of the nearby blast. And despite the burning heat from the air and the smoke rising up from the ground, she hesitantly peeked through her eyelids.

What she saw, however, caused a cold shiver to run down her body.

In the place where the blast had originated from and where smoke continued to reside, there now stood a creature which was all but humanoid. It looked like a big pile of mud or sludge in a dark green color, much like moss. The only thing that set it apart from the aforementioned comparisons were its unsettling eyes, yellow and large just like its grinning mouth.