Hawkward! Rogers to the Rescue

Natasha came down in the morning to an already full kitchen. She had overslept, trying to get the last of the drugs out of her system. She spotted Bruce and was about to call out to him, she wanted to know how her baby was doing. Unfortunately he didn't seem to see her and vanished through the door. Steve tossed her an apple and she caught it without really thinking. Clint giggled and so did Wanda. Natasha rolled her eyes and slapped the both of them around the heads. "I'm already a married woman."

She sat down at the table and sunk her teeth into the smooth red skin of the fruit. "Where's James?" She wanted to discuss the child with him.
"On mission."
"What?" Both Clint and Natasha said at the same time. Clint was angry whereas Natasha was puzzled.
"Yeah he said something about it being last minute, he and Carter are somewhere in Germany."
"Bullshit, I don't believe it that fucking dick is hiding."
"What?" Everyone stared at Clint. "Clint what do you mean he's hiding? Why would he have to hide?" Natasha frowned.

Her hand then drifted to her stomach. "No, no I don't believe you." Clint stared sorrowfully at her.
"I'm sorry Nat but he panicked and ran, he's a good for nothing coward."
"Hey that's enough," Steve interrupted.
"No, no I'm not hearing this."
"Tasha, please,"
"NO, HE WOULDN'T." Her eyes blazed intensely but there was still a thin sheen of tears threatening to fall.

"I'm sorry Tasha."
"Shut up Barton, SHUT UP." Everyone winced at the use of his last name and moved quickly out of her way as she stormed from the room. They collectively flinched when the door slammed and Clint buried his head in his hands.
"He's scared, he thinks they're going to raise a monster." Steve frowned.
"I'll talk to him when he gets back, for now though someone should check on Nat."

Natasha swiped angrily at her eyes as tears fell from them. She hit the elevator button and waited impatiently for it to arrive. When the doors opened she jabbed the button for the roof, she needed air.

The wind whistled around her as she surveyed the campus below. Some part of her wondered what would happen if she leaned a little too far over the edge. But she couldn't, if not for Clint then for the baby. James wouldn't really run would he? She always thought he would be the capable parent. Apparently not, would this ruin their relationship? She sat down and cried. All the built up stress and depression from being under the Guardian's every command finally leaked out.

Steve was making his way to the roof when he got stopped by Bruce. The smaller man nervously twisted his hands together as he gestured Steve to follow him to the lab. He tapped his iPad and something appeared on the large overhead screen. It was a foetus. "What's the problem Bruce?"
"Um well I was going over the scans we did and I focused more on the birth side. I know Clint and Natasha are tight but she's not talking to him right now so I need you to do this for me. Well, the baby's not healthy and I, uh, I think, well..."
"What doc?" Steve frowned in concern.
"There's the small possibility it might die." Steve gasped.

Bruce looked down and pushed his glasses back up his nose. Steve felt terrible for his friends. All her adult life Nat had believed she was unable to conceive but now she had, it might be for nothing. "I'll speak to her Bruce, see if there's anything we can do though." He spoke to the doctor firmly as he left the lab.

He found Natasha huddled on the roof crying. He saw her rock back and forth whilst stroking her abdomen carefully. A heavy rain was falling and so he popped open the umbrella and walked over with it. He sat down on the floor next to her and held the brolly over their heads. She sniffled and wiped her nose before smiling at him in gratitude. Her eyes were puffy and pink with huge bags beneath them. She looked worn out and tired, and with a jolt Steve realised she actually looked her age. Not 20/30 something but 80. Her eyes held unimaginable sorrow and he looked away, feeling as though if he were to look in them any longer he would drown in their misery.

He understood now why Bucky was so drawn to her. They shared experience and age. Steve was frozen for 70 years, not living, not dying either. They were awake and aware with only brief lapses, not living, only dying as their souls darkened and their hearts hardened. He shivered and she smiled comfortingly as if she knew exactly what he was thinking.
"You see now Steve, my sorrow and misery. You understand why I need James. I was supposed to of died years ago, or at least be well on my way. I need him because he keeps me sane, without him I long for the sweet release of death, in fact if not for this little thing inside me I would of thrown myself off of this roof. I need him Steve but I'm scared."

Steve was horrified at the thought of how close his friend had come to killing herself. "Nat, there's nothing to be afraid of, Bucky has always wanted a family. He's grown up in a happy one and wants to replicate that with the woman he loves. My best guess is that he's scared, he's totally unprepared for this. Give him some time and he'll come round, you'll see."
"But what if there's someone else, I know it's silly but it's been almost 75 years."
"Nat, please. We can both agree that I'm his best friend right?" She nodded, "so I've known him for a very long time, since before kindergarten. That means I knew him when he went through the hormone stage and later when he went through the trying to settle down phase. Now let me tell you, I have never ever seen the same amount of love, adoration or even lust on his face than when he's with you. No other girl has even come close."

He covered her hand with his own and she smiled at him. "Thanks Steve." He noticed how cold her skin was and how she was still shaking in only a t shirt and jeans. Her wet hair was plastered to her head and she was completely drenched, so much for the umbrella.
"Nat you're freezing, you're going to catch a chill come on."

So he took her inside where she and Clint apologised to each other before making sure she was tucked in a nice warm bed with hundreds of hot water bottles. It was only when he was leaving after she'd fallen asleep that he realised he'd forgotten to tell her about the baby. He looked back at her slumbering form and shook his head. He couldn't do it, let her enjoy her peace for now.

A/N So Bucky ran off. Ooh shits about to go down when he gets back. I'm really keen on spicing up the drama in their relationship so watch out ;)