two steps forward

My morning lecture seemed to drag on like some slow motion film today

My morning lecture seemed to drag on like some slow motion film today. On one hand, I knew it was because Professor Arnold's material was so dry and dull that anything that came out of his mouth already made my day ten times more uninteresting, but on the other hand, I knew that it was mainly because in the back of my mind, all I could think about was the fact that I was going out with Harry tonight.

Going out was the loose term I chose to describe whatever tonight was going to be because he hadn't specified exactly what it was. I wasn't sure if it was a date, a friendly thing, or whatever, but all I knew was that this time if it were to be classified as a date, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

What I am sure of though, is that it has to be some kind of fancy event. At least, that's what I can tell judging from the text I'd gotten this morning from Harry telling me that the dress code was strictly black and white only. I'd already spent the minutes I was supposed to be getting ready for class searching through my closet in horror for something semi-presentable to wear. After a half hour I was still left with nothing but a scolding, spit-filled lesson from Professor Arnold on the importance of time management and punctuality in front of my whole class. I'd only been five minutes late, but even thirty seconds late to Arnold was the end of the world, so I took my verbal beating like a lady whilst Jay sat in the stands with a wild smile on his face and his phone out recording every second like the drama adoring person he was.

Even after being back at my flat for over ten minutes after class had ended, I'm still having no luck with finding something to wear. I'm rummaging through my closet and drawers again like I had expected a new wardrobe to magically show up in my closet in the few hours I was gone. I know my only other options are to either go shopping or ask Holland to borrow something and since I've already spent my extra cash on alcohol this past weekend, I decide on the latter option.

Her door is already ajar, but I knock on it anyways when I see that she's sprawled out on her bed with a textbook in front of her nose and a notebook in her other hand. Once she notices my presence, she's immediately closing her book shut and sitting up against her headboard.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt you," I say, sheepishly, stepping into her room.

"No worries." She waves it off. "I needed a break from that, anyways. My brain's practically turning into mush these days; these readings are so dismal," she complains, rolling her eyes into the back of her head dramatically, like they were really causing her complete and utter excruciating pain. The idea really wasn't too far-fetched though; I knew exactly how she felt.

"Tell me about it."

Holland let's her hair fall into her face as she leans forward on her mattress. "Is it weird if I say I miss you? I feel like I haven't seen you in a century."
"Well, it's been over 24 hours so I guess basically it has been a century," I respond, jokingly.

"Come sit down," Holland says with a laugh, patting the spot beside her on her fluffy white comforter and I oblige, taking the spot right next to her. "I see you ate the cake."