Trolls and Witches and Spiders, Oh My

Magsimula sa umpisa

         Erik watched me throughout this little drama of mine, chewing a rock-like hunk of bread and eyeing my shoes with some interest.

         "Where did you say you were from again?" he asked suddenly.

         I started guiltily. "Uh... I didn't, exactly. Why?"

         He gestured to my canvas sneakers. "Those are unusual shoes. They're made largely of cloth? Canvas? That doesn't seem very practical."

         "They're fine in a town," I defend them, though they were looking a little worse for wear after my recent misadventures, "where you don't have to worry about stepping in mud and water and running around like Hansel and freaking Gretel in a forest for hours at a time."

         "All of that is exactly what you've been doing."

         "I know that," I snapped back. "But the other ones hurt; they're giving me blisters. I can't wear them for this entire walk. I'd rather go barefoot."

         Erik shoved the last bit of crust into his mouth and shrugged. "I'll see what I can do about getting you a proper pair of walking boots once we get into Kingsbury," he said through a mouthful of crumbs.

         I raised my eyebrows, surprised by this sudden display of generosity. "Really?"

         "I'll just tack on the cost to everything you already owe me."

         "Hey, I dragged your unconscious body halfway through the forest, we're pretty much even now! Neither of us would even be here right now if it weren't for your giant-"

         "It wasn't my giant; I didn't invite the blasted thing over-"

         Our bickering was prevented from erupting into an all out argument by a sweaty, panting figure abruptly appearing around the bend in the road behind us, from the direction of the town we had come from.

         Erik's mouth dropped open. "What are you doing here?" He looked at me accusingly. "What is he doing here?"

         "Jack?" I said, looking blankly up at the tall young man, who was red in the face from hurrying to catch up with us, a large drawstring bag thrown over his shoulder.

         "Finally... caught up with you..." he panted, clearly winded. I made room for him to sit down between Erik and me, so he could catch his breath, which he did gladly.

         "What are you doing here?" I demanded. "I thought we agreed that you couldn't just abandon your mother like that!"

          "Exactly; I couldn't just leave without saying goodbye and letting her know that she should sell the farm and move in with my aunt and uncle. So that's what I did, and then I packed," he gestured to the bag, "went back to the inn to let my uncle know the situation, and then I came after you."

         "No, no, no!" I said, my stomach sinking right into my shoes. "That's not what I meant! That's not what I meant at all!"

         Jack gave me a sheepish grin. "Yeah, I know. I know what you meant. You didn't want me to come with you for whatever reason. Well, it's too late now. I've made my decision. I understand that you probably don't want me here, but it's better than starving to death with nothing to eat but three beans."

         "I don't... it's not that I don't want you here, it's just that... you can't just..." I floundered for a way to explain why he had to go back, and only ended up throwing my arms up in the air in exasperation. "It's complicated, okay? But you have to go back, okay? I'm serious, it's vitally important that you go back home! You can't come with us, Jack!"