Chapter 2

"David, you're coming up for the day? That's great!" Stacey cried over the phone, his sister is always happy to see him. He smiled, imagining her reaction right now; she's probably got the biggest grin on her face while thinking of all the ways to put him to use around the house and coming up for reasons for him to stay and extend his visit.

"... you'll just love her! I know you will! Oh, I can't wait until you get here. I'll talk to you more when you arrive. See you soon!" Stacey was saying.

"Wait sis. Love whom? Who's her? Stacey!" the conversation got cut before he got his answers. He was so busy thinking of her reaction that he didn't hear a word she was saying! Who was he suppose to love? God, she hasn't set up a matching making thing has she? No, Stacey wouldn't do that... so whom was she talking about?

He drove up the long winding driveway and parked next to Stacey's new car. As he got out and surveyed the surroundings, he took in the wide-open space of the font yard that was decorated with a prize-winning garden, which lead invitingly to the front door. Her house wasn't massive but it wasn't small either; the outside being natural dark colours only to open up and change to warm inviting colours on the inside. Her backyard was much like the front, the gardens superbly done using the open space to its best advantage while still containing the illusion of open space.

Laughter peeled out from the house, it caught and drew his attention, the laughter sounded like that of a child's. What is a child doing here? Stacey has a lot to answer for.

He strode down the stepping-stones acting as a path to the front door and opened it to confusion and utter chaos.

"Lucy, please! Be good for mama!" a slim raven-haired female called after a very wet, energetic, little redhead girl, "Lucy, if you're good now I'll let you eat cake after dinner. Please Lucy just stay still!"

Stacey stepped into the living room smiling at the two strangers, "Lucy, if you're good for your mama then she'll let me take you shopping tomorrow."

The redhead toddler ran to his sister with open arms, leaving a trail of water behind her, as he gaped at all three of them.

"Stacey, what the hell is going on?!" He demanded. His sister smiled at him while he continued to glower at her. Nothing was making sense. He looked at the raven-haired female and determined she was about 18-years-old and her eyes looked crushed, like she'd gone through hell and back again. He stopped glowering immediately and tried to hide his sympathy for the girl, she'd obviously experienced something horrendous.

"David, this is Louise, my new house friend I was telling you about on the phone, and this little wet rag munchkin is Lucy, she's Louise's little girl. Louise, this is David, my cute younger brother." Stacey introduced us. Wait, Louise is Lucy's mom?! But she can't be more than 18! And the girl looks about 4, which means she would have been 14 when she had her!

His thoughts must have shown on his face because Louise then clarified in a murmured tone, "Umm, I was 15 when I had Lucy. I hope you don't mind the intrusion into your life."

"No, No! It's not like that... what I meant was... well what I mean is that you're so young and I didn't expect you to have a kid... not that it's any of my business, and its still none of my business... and I'm making a complete idiot of myself so I'm going to shut up now." He stumbled over his words in a rush as he tried to hastily explain to Louise without offending her, but obviously it didn't work, proof of my sister's horrified expression.

"Umm I'll leave you to it and get this one dressed and ready for the day. Nice meeting you, David. Come on Lucy time to get dressed. " Louise said as she ushered the little energetic ball of red into one the back spare bedrooms.