Chapter Twenty Four (Stay): Wake Up

With a deep inhale, your eyes open wide only to immediately close from the blinding assault of white they're met with. You slowly lifted your hand to rub your eyes, a sharp hiss of pain coming from your lips as you do so. Your eyes were opened once more to see that you're wearing a hospital gown while your lower half is covered by a blue blanket draped loosely over your thighs. You're also hooked up to both an IV and a heart monitor, the steady beeping being the only audible noise in the room at the moment.

In the corner of the hospital room sat Dark, curled up in a chair with his eyes shut and his hair hanging in his face. You gasped when you saw the bandages wrapped around his hands, all of what had happened crashing down on you just like the house did on your broken, burned leggie.

"Dark?" You called out quietly, slight fear lingering from your dream fluttering in your chest. His eyes snapped open and his cold, furious gaze locked onto you before he stood up and stormed over to you, oxfords quickly and angrily clicking against the floor as he approached. You shrunk back in your bed, wanting nothing more than to fucking run away from him because of that nasty look in his eye.

What you didn't expect him to do is to lean down and smack his smoochers against yours with his bandaged hands on the sides of your face, the cloth brushing softly against your skin. When he pulled back, the expression on his face had changed into one of sadness and fear, almost making him look like a scared little boy.

"I though I'd lost you." Dark murmured before pressing his forehead against your own, eyes closing as his frustration weighed down on him. He sighed, his tone still not being that of anger, but rather relief that you were still here with him. "What you did was incredibly reckless, (Y/N). You should be dead."

"Wow, you're so positive, Dark." You muttered sarcastically, using humor as a shield to prevent yourself from breaking down and crying. What had happened over the past few weeks was traumatizing and more than anything you just needed something to make you smile.

"(Y/N)?" A voice called from the doorway, followed by a soft knock on the door frame. In the hall a man identical to your teachers stood dressed in a white lab coat, blue scrubs, and a head mirror perched atop his forehead to complete his look. As he stepped in, he cast a skeptical glance at Dark before shooing him out of his way, standing by your beside. "How are you feeling?"

"Sore." You answered honestly, noticing how Dark seemed to be a bit agitated by the doctor's presence, but still allowing him to do his job. His red hue seemed to flare while his blue was nowhere to be seen, black irises seeming more distant and cold than usual. You looked back to the doctor. "So, what's all wrong with me? And how long am I gonna need to stay here?"

"Let's see, fractured tibia, third degree burns, and thermal injury to the upper airway." He answered as he glanced down at his clipboard for a moment, followed by his soft brown eyes flickering back up to you. "As for how long you'll need to stay here? Shouldn't be more than three days."

"Only three days?" You thought for sure that you'd have to stay for a couple weeks, skepticism showing clearly on your features. The doctor flashed you a charming smile as he chuckled, holding his clipboard by his side. "How?"

"We're a bit more advanced than your regular hospital." He explained, finally tearing his eyes away from you to glance at Dark who was morbidly silent. You felt a strange sense of dread around him as you had when you first met him, something in you wanting nothing more than to run. You shook your head, assuming all it was was just lingering anxiety from your nightmare. Dark would never hurt you, right? "Any more questions before I'm off?"

"Yeah, how bad are my scars going to be?" You hated to admit it, but you were afraid of what he might say, not too fond of the idea of having huge burn marks for the rest of your life.

"It depends on how well you take care of them." He answered after a few seconds of silence, more than happy to turn away from Dark's icy stare. What the hell was the edgelord's problem anyways? "If you follow my instructions, you might not have any."

You nodded with a smile of relief, listening carefully as he informed both you and Dark of what you needed to do. So long as you changed your bandages twice a day and applied the ointment he gave you, everything would be just fine.

After you thanked the doctor and bid him a farewell, Dark returned to his more nuturing state (as nuturing as a century old corpse could be), gentle and mindful of your injuries. You did have a few visitors afterwards and those were the only times Dark actually left you alone. Your friends came to see you, along with Wilford, Mark, and Abe- Wilford feeling especially bad for being unable to save you from this pain- and your mom actually came as well.

She was in tears from seeing you in any sort of pain, but also thankful that you were still alive after all that time being stuck with Mask. Your visit with her was cut short by Dark, your mom seeming to change her entire demeanor and leaving as soon as Dark dismissed her. You were about to ask him about what the hell just happened when the doctor came in once more.

"Alright, looks like you're all set to go." His natural smile dropped the second he and Dark made eye contact, a little scowl taking its place. "May I have a word with you?"

"Certainly." Dark's response was just as cold as the doctor's, following him out of the room and shutting the door behind him.

You glanced over at your phone sitting on the table to see a text message from Ethan inviting you to his Christmas party if you were well enough to go. From what you had been told from the doctor, you assumed you would be able to so you said yes.

Dark walked back into the room with a neutral expression on his face, a black bag slung over his shoulder. The doctor followed suit, glaring at the back of Dark's head with crutches tucked under his arm. He seemed to calm himself when you saw that you were watching.

"Remember what I told you about the bandages." Doctor Iplier reminded you as he handed you your crutches. His hand lingered on your shoulder for longer than it should have (not in a suggestive manner), giving it a little squeeze before he sighed and dropped his hand. "Don't be afraid to call if anything pops up."

"We won't." Dark answered for you, quickly grabbing your arm as soon as you stood with your crutches and teleporting you to your house. Fortunately for you, you'd only need these bad boys for a week before the doc would take your cast off. You were still shooketh at how fast you were healing with all of the doc's medical shit, but pure relief overtook you when Dark brought you home. He didn't attempt to stay hidden in the slightest, going so far as to greet your mother as she sat on the couch reading a book.

Her face lit up when she saw that you were finally home, dropping her book onto the floor as she walked over to you and carefully gave you a hug. You were eager to wrap your arms around her and hold her just as tightly, small tears sprining up your eyes from the confort that you hadn't had in such a long time. It felt good to be home.