Family Meal ; 31

— 5 years later —

"So what's next on your list! You're all better and now..." mum's voice trails off as she keeps both of the blue of her eyes focused on Kitty. I think I know what this is about...immediately I take my glass of red wine and press it against my lips. "Oh my god...there's so much..." Kitty tries to think about the things but stops herself before smiling. She doesn't say anything...but I know that look.

"Oh come off it." Syd laughs after putting a certain amount of salt on Millie's plate. I must admit the chips do seem a little plain. Under the table Millie has been passing me a few...Syd has just gave in to letting her have salt. "You know exactly what you want. Both of you ain't gonna be young forever, you know?" My jaw drops open. My slipper of a sister seriously did not just...say that.

"Sorry we didn't get knocked up by the age of seventeen." That's when Syd angrily drops her fork as everyone looks at us. We've made a lot ruckus and commotion, mainly Syd and Millie arguing. It's mother like daughter with them two. "Least I'm not half dead already." With that I literally feel my eyes widen with anger and shock. I know she's on about our ages but...fucking hell. "Take that back." I hiss. Immediately Syd puts her hand over her mouth, "Oh my god...Kitty I seriously didn't mean that. Honest." With that Kitty falsely smiles shaking her head. "I know what you mean...it's okay. I know that people other thirty start to...struggle getting pregnant." I did not know that...oh my god. I'm like...thirty two. Fucking hell we're thirty two now! Like...I've got to get her pregnant. It's now or never situation.

We don't wanna be that forty year old couple who are going through their first pregnancy. That looks so weird and unnatural.

"I pregnant?" Millie asks. That makes mum literally choke on her streak. With that we all nervously laugh. "You better be someday. I need some grandkids." That's when Kitty completely looses it and smiles at me. "What's wrong?" Millie then asks as Kitty literally stands up and moves around the table before leaning over Millie's chair. She crouches down behind her and hugs her. "Nothing." Kitty laughs.

"Good luck explaining what that means to her..." Syd then finishes her third glass of wine for the night. Sure we laugh and joke about booze...but I don't want Syd actually becoming an alcoholic. There's a few things she's said today which has made me and Kitty wonder if she's okay. I mean, Syd has developed as a single mother, sure, but...she's just a wannabe boozer. I don't know if that's how parenting is...but I'm pretty sure I've never seen my mum act like the way she does.

"Why are you here?" Millie giggles looking up at Kitty. Kitty then shrugs, "gonna help you finish your dinner." Kitty at all of hers. Weird thing to see...a totally licked clean plate. "Cheers." Syd mumbles looking totally stuffed. I mean she ate half of her dinner but the wine itself is pretty heavy and filling, there was no lemonade in them which made it pretty strong.

"So...does that mean you're going to be trying..." mum asks in a roundabout way which Millie won't understand. I look at Kitty as she smiles. "Yeah." I made...sort of a made promise on our wedding night. I'll never forget how adamant she was.

"So we're celebrating two things." My eyes widen as Kitty shakes her head. "Just one thing at the moment." I nod my head hoping that my parents will ease up on the life questions. "You're not gonna go at it while Millie is in the house." Kitty nods her head falsely smiling. Fuck that. We're quiet...she or Millie will never know. "Of course" Kitty reassures as the waiter comes to our table.

She has pen and paper in hand. "Would you like deserts? Or drinks?" She asks with a pained smile on her face. I shake my head, I'm not really hungry anymore. "Syd?" Mum asks happily, but Syd shakes her head looking at little pale. I swear to god if she throws up agin in public I'm going to disown her as my sister and then ship her to Australia. "Kitty?" Kitty then points at Millie's plate, she and Millie are trying to eat the left over mountain of chips. I've had way too much. Plus the chips are cold. Millie and Kitty feel bad for leaving anything on their plates — this restaurant is very expensive. "No thank you." Kitty politely says as the waitress then proceeds to give dad a bill. At the corner of my eye I see Kitty nodding her head towards him. I guess I should cough up some money.

"Dad let me see the..." my voice trails back as he hides it with his hand. "No. No — it's okay. Our treat remember." I shake my head as I hold my hand out. "Me and Kitty have more cash than we know what to do with...give us a look?" I smile. But my father, being a proud man that he is stands up. "I'm paying buy card." It must be expensive because he was bragging about how he had a hundred quid in his wallet this earlier.

Fuck.

With that I falsely smile. I mean I feel guilty now. At least me and Kitty ordered the cheapest thing on the menu...even if it wasn't the nicest we still ate it. "Thank you." Kitty smiles at mum as she bends down besides Millie who is still eating, but no one pays any attention. I guess it's because she's a kid and not priority? "It's no problem honestly. We're so happy for you." Kitty puts a hand on her heart as mum then smiles at me.

I guess at this point in time...things are really starting to look up.