~eighteen~

Kanan studied the multiple blood test reports carefully and tried to hide the consciousness he felt at the uncomfortable scrutiny of the female patient before him. Her husband sat next to her, and looked awkwardly nervous. It wasn't very unnatural for him to have nervous patients really, for there were times he'd have to announce illnesses that were capable of freaking anybody out. But this seemed like one of the healthiest couples he had ever had for patients.

Mr. Atul Shah and Mrs. Jayana Shah

'Shah' was quite possibly the most common Gujarati surname and he could count at least a fifteen other of his patients that were 'Shah-s'. So there was no certainty of him having had this couple as his patients before. In fact, they didn't even look like people he knew until today!

Then why is she staring at me like I've slept with her daughter?

Clearing his throat, he began, "Your reports look fine to me." The woman raised her left eyebrow at that, and Kanan found himself look back at her with question.

The woman looked away instantly, as she folded her arms before her chest.

What is WRONG with her?

He'd met scores of women who behaved abnormally during the time of their menopause, but this woman was taking abnormal to a whole different level.

"But your vitamin D looks a little alarming, ma'am. You'll need some injection shots for that."

Her husband nodded in acknowledgement, but the woman didn't so much as twitch a brow. Frustrated at her clear disposition of irritation, Kanan signed off on his prescription hastily.

"Is that it, Doctor?" the husband asked quietly, clearly trying to diffuse the clear coldness in the room. He smiled warmly at the man, already liking his flushed, chubby cheeks and tiny eyes behind thick rimmed spectacles.

Funny, how the man looked like a perfect example of how Vedant could look at about fifty. He would've loved to show Meera if she were around.

"Yes, Sir. That's a good sign, really. You both are pushing fifty with no major deficiencies-"

"-are you married, Doctor?"

This was the first time the wife had spoken since entering his cabin, and then she'd asked this. "Excuse me?"

Her eyes pointed at his ring finger which adorned a gold ring as she repeated, "Are you married?"

"No." he answered curtly, noticing the ring on his finger after aeons. It was something his Mother had gifted him on some occasion he had no recollection of, and for some reason hadn't fit him on any finger but the one reserved for the engagement ring.

"Do you have anyone in mind?" she further probed, and Kanan found his brows crease with confusion.

"I'm sorry but, do I know you, ma'am?"

This was the most direct he'd been with a patient before. But then again, this was also the first time a patient was asking him about his non-existent married life like being a bachelor was the most heinous crime.

The husband intervened at that, his palm resting on his wife's shoulder, clearly gesturing for her to drop the matter. She did shut up at that, and didn't respond to his question.

"Where can we pay, Doctor?" Mr. Shah asked politely, clearly trying to cover up for his wife's weirdness.

"You will find my assistant outside. She'll guide you."

He nodded, and practically pulled his wife out of the door to his room.

Kanan blinked, staring at the door with evident confusion.

Either she really is crazy, or I've slept with her daughter.

Sure, he wasn't a virgin, but he definitely wasn't the kind to sleep around. Both women he'd been involved with had been his classmates from medical school and both had neither been from Mumbai nor Shah-s. In fact, they weren't even Gujarati to begin with.

And as far as his memory went; via their Facebook timelines he'd come across unconsciously, they both were happily married and young mothers now. Not that he was expecting them to be single at the age of twenty nine-thirty.

So who the hell was this lady and why does she hate me so much?

He walked out to his assistant's desk after a while, already feeling the fatigue of being on two, twenty four hour shifts in the same week and halted,

"This couple that just came in..."

Kritika; his professional assistant nodded obediently at him, "...they weren't regular patients of mine right?"

She typed something into her computer quickly, and then, "Nope. This was their first check up with you."

"Right." He sighed to himself, visibly disturbed.

"They have a hospital membership card if that interests you. It was made just yesterday."

Kanan looked up to her at that, nodding eagerly.

Mrs. Jayana Shah

49 years

FEMALE

3rd Floor, Manav Mandir, Babulnath Road

He stared at the minimal information. This woman lived only two buildings off of Meera's place. And he realized, there was a high chance of Meera knowing the lady.

He would ask her if she knew them. Maybe then he'd know what he'd done to have her look at him the way she did!